DrJon's Content

There have been 37 items by DrJon (Search limited from 28-October 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#34604 Blank page on site

Posted by DrJon on 30 July 2010 - 09:29 AM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

You could post your url so we can take a look....

#34603 Where is Via Step? No Response from them

Posted by DrJon on 30 July 2010 - 09:26 AM in Installation/Upgrades/Licensing

It would appear that the version of the drop down menu Viastep are using is pretty old...
It contains variables to take into account anomalies within IE4 and Netscape6 !

I imagine that the javascript needs to take into account the rather unorthodox way IE8 works - we all know that IE is not the most compliant of browsers.

Not very helpful i know, but I'm guessing you're going to have to persist with Viastep so they can update the script. However, even the newer version available from dynamicdrive.com appears to only have been tested with FF1, IE5 and Opr7.....

#34565 How do I set the home page to a non soho page?

Posted by DrJon on 27 July 2010 - 09:30 AM in How do I do this?

Web servers attempt to load index.* pages in sequence: index.htm, index.html and finally index.php.

If you still have an index.htm or .html in your public_html folder, that would normally load before any Soho created page, so it shouldn't go in the template folder.

On the other hand, you can have a soho page which is straight html by using the 'Custom Code' featur in Soho; you may have to tweak your css though in case of any conflicts.....

#34555 Where is Via Step? No Response from them

Posted by DrJon on 26 July 2010 - 09:55 AM in Installation/Upgrades/Licensing

If you look at the code of the menu on a site using it you'll see this line:
/***********************************************
* AnyLink Drop Down Menu- © Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code
***********************************************/
I don't know how much it's been modded (if at all), but I would think that the Dynamic Drive menu could be incorporated into a Soho site without too much trouble....
(Famous last words... :ehheh: )

#34554 "Trojan Horse"

Posted by DrJon on 26 July 2010 - 09:37 AM in Archive: Old Forum Topics

There's a number of suggestions in this thread.... Have you tried any of them yet?

#34508 Bluehost cannot find Soho pages...

Posted by DrJon on 20 July 2010 - 12:11 PM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

This has the familiar 'permissions' ring to it.... A search on here and you'll find the answer. Or simply click the blue question mark in your admin panel and follow the prompts.

#34449 Super Search by Cameron Allen

Posted by DrJon on 15 July 2010 - 09:55 AM in Questions about a specific plugin

and then adding some CSS styles to your template style sheet

It may be that the plugin has its own css file too where the classes are defined - as Matt has indicated, this will control the size of the search box, the fonts and so forth.

If you do edit any css file, seems obvious, but be sure to keep a copy of the original in case it all goes awry!!

#34414 For the Flash experts: what triggers the prompt to update the Flash player pl...

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 12:10 PM in Questions about a specific plugin

If they are using the Adobe flash player plugin for their browsers, it will check itself periodically for updated versions.

Nowt to worry about.

#34412 soholaunch.net

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 11:50 AM in Archive: Old Forum Topics

Very true.

At least there are some benefits: I now get free eye tests. But am I getting to old to warrant the "it'll make you go blind" scenario :lol:

#34410 soholaunch.net

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 11:17 AM in Archive: Old Forum Topics

Hi Blues.

Yep all is good... except....

I'm getting my dam bus pass tomorrow!! I cannot believe that 60 years have flown by so fast :(

#34406 A blank page loads when i log into soho admin

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 10:22 AM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

Very odd.... I got the same thing.. However, created a new admin, updated the software version (yep, it can be done without having your control panel!!) and it now appears to be working correctly :)

Have noooo idea what the problem was though :ehheh:

#34405 Accidental deletion

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 09:50 AM in Installation/Upgrades/Licensing

Ah... come across this once before. It sounds like the file which holds installation info still thinks you have Soho installed, but of course, looking for it, it cannot find it....

You can either ask your host to fix the file, or download the installation file from Soho and do a manual install.

#34404 soholaunch.net

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 09:47 AM in Archive: Old Forum Topics

Hey Blues.

If they are the same two emails I got (one was from the partner site) they look genuine. I suspect your spam filter twitched because they both originate from different locations:

Received: from server.soholaunch.com ([72.32.122.29])
and
Received: from parking.soholaunchdomains.com ([67.227.201.83])

#34402 A blank page loads when i log into soho admin

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 09:39 AM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

If you want to PM me your login details I can take a look from here and see what I can find out (don't post them to the forum!!).

#34401 Super Search by Cameron Allen

Posted by DrJon on 13 July 2010 - 09:38 AM in Questions about a specific plugin

Ah, I see: you want it in the same location as it is on Soho's front page?

Without having access to the plugin code it's not easy to say how to achieve that, but I suspect it may need a tweak or two to your template as well in order to move the location.

#34387 A blank page loads when i log into soho admin

Posted by DrJon on 12 July 2010 - 02:37 PM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

Have you got a pop-up blocker running? You should get a pop-up window after you log in; the page you logged in on will go blank!

#34386 site not available

Posted by DrJon on 12 July 2010 - 02:22 PM in How do I do this?

Do you mean you have two sites built? One using Soho and the other not? If that's the case, simply rename index.html in the root folder of your web server to something else so that the Soho site is seen instead.

#34385 Super Search by Cameron Allen

Posted by DrJon on 12 July 2010 - 09:25 AM in Questions about a specific plugin

I'm not exactly sure what it is you're asking; it looks like your search plug-in is working as intended - even if the output is a bit small (I suspect a tweak of the css should fix that).

#34384 Help! I need a new hosting provider.

Posted by DrJon on 12 July 2010 - 08:59 AM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

Do you have Soholaunch installed on your server? If not, you'll need to install it first. Once it is installed, you can host your new site.

However, you didn't say if you had an entire site built ready for a Soho installation, or whether it is just a template..... Both answers are quite long so it'd help to know a bit more first.

For a back button in html:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000317.htm

Creating a HTML back buttonfor a java script one:

http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/back-button.html

The JavaScript Source: Navigation: Back Button

Create a file called backbutton.inc and then upload it to your site and drop the code on the page where you want it to appear....

#34359 v4.9.3 r39 causes failure in jquery script

Posted by DrJon on 09 July 2010 - 09:19 AM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

I have to say I'm stumped as well.... Everything looks like it should work....

When I get a moment, I'll test it on a Soho site to see what's occurring. I'm assuming that there's a variable you can change to get from horizontal to vertical scrolling?

#34350 v4.9.3 r39 causes failure in jquery script

Posted by DrJon on 08 July 2010 - 03:00 PM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

Just a thought but as the slideshow is using Soho's Custom PHP Output, it seems that the code has been enclosed in <head> and </head> tags in which you have the script; I'm guessing that the instructions for use of the script say to do this.....

Have you tested it without the head tags on the custom php and putting the <script> tags inside the head tags of the index.html of the template? It looks like it's not calling the script at the moment.

#34349 Blog Comments not working

Posted by DrJon on 08 July 2010 - 02:30 PM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

Well, I've had a look at everything and it appears that dropping a blog into the #content# area isn't going to allow comments for some reason. I've never tried it that way myself, so I can't say if that's right or wrong.

Normally I create a box1, box2 and so on in the template skeleton and use those for blogs. That way I can simply display either all the blog or just a certain number of characters with a generated 'read more...' link which takes a reader to the full blog with a generated link for the monthly archives for that blog; comments can be left in that format in my experience.

I would suggest trying a template for that particular test page which already has promo and latest news boxes built in to see if that solves it. I suspect it might.

#34346 Blog Comments not working

Posted by DrJon on 08 July 2010 - 09:27 AM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

Okey dokey :whoops:

If you'd like me to take a look to see why it's not happening, PM me your login details and I'll see what needs to be done (don't post them to the forum!)

Doc

#34330 if any of you guys have time could you look over the site i created for my wife

Posted by DrJon on 07 July 2010 - 11:43 AM in Custom code and graphics help

I think the most important thing about site design is consistency. I'd be inclined to use the same font and font colour across the entire site - especially as the red/green combo is a little 'loud'.

I might increase the size of the font on the menu and decrease the size on the static pages.

I tend to try to keep the home page smallish and simple without too much scrolling; after all this is where you want to 'grab' potential customers: something simple but pithy which will make people want to look further into the site.

It's always a good idea to look at your webstats on cPanel if you have it as this will give a good indication of which pages are looked at, for how long, and at which point people leave the site.

As for an embedded sound player, you could try Googling flashplayer and embed; there's quite a few good free ones out there.

HTH

#34329 Help! I need a new hosting provider.

Posted by DrJon on 07 July 2010 - 11:18 AM in Help me troubleshoot a problem

If it's any help, I used to have hosting reseller accounts in both the UK and the USA. Now reaching retirement I've stopped hosting clients completely and although I live in the UK I use drak.net for hosting my own domains.

They are also very active on this forum too as well as supporting Soho.

HTH.