Photo
- - - - -

Mutli-lingual display sites-- could there be a way?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 christobal

christobal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:23 PM

To the best of my comprehension the menu builder uses the page name to display the menu item. This is fine when using latin based character sets, but only allows a single menu presentation layer.
-------- Food for thought !!
Could an additional field be incorpated into the menu builder which when marked produces an alternative text string ( preferably managed in the page properties object) to be displayed in the menu variable or alternatively used as a new #Tag# i.e. #VMENU1#, #HMENU1# etc. This proposed tag variable would obviously be supported in the template structure.
Such an addition would allow multi-lingual sites ------------------

The alternative text field obiviously stored in the site_pages table would be able to display the value stored regardless of the character set by simply marking the relevant template files with the correct meta content type in the html code for the character set to be displayed .
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research!

#2 Ruben

Ruben

www.Sohotemplates.com

• Moderators
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:36 AM

I have discussed this with Mike last week and we both came to the following solution. (which is off course not the best one, but it should work.)

Create 2 installations of soholaunch under a sub-domain like: nl.mydomain.com and one on en.mydomain.com

than your problem is solved, because you can just create a link on your site that points to the other language.

Ruben
Ruben
Visit www.sohotemplates.com for your Soholaunch templates
High Quality StockPhoto's ! www.microstockphoto.com
Looking for High Quality Flash files? check Flashden!

#3 christobal

christobal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:42 PM

An extremely lame solution:
To produce alternative represensation of presentation material, it should never require an additional site or alternative site --- just think of the mangement overhead !!!!!

This subject requires further discussion

#4 Ruben

Ruben

www.Sohotemplates.com

• Moderators
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:02 PM

Well, i presume the sites have the same layout and the only thing thats different is the text and links in the menu, so don't see really the problem, i do however agree that this is not the best solution, but IT'S A SOLUTION, i never said its a good one.

I agree on having everything in the same admin.
Ruben

#5 Mike Morrison

Mike Morrison

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd throw my 2cents in on this one.

Could an additional field be incorpated into the menu builder which when marked produces an alternative text string ( preferably managed in the page properties object)

Quite a nice take on the subject, Christobal. I think the solution you proposed would work well for the menu system. Any pearls of wisdom on the page content itself?

An extremely lame solution: To produce alternative represensation of presentation material, it should never require an additional site or alternative site --- just think of the mangement overhead !!!!!

I wouldn't write off the sub-domain approach just yet. If we're just talking small business/small website/translation only, then I aggree that an integrated approach allowing for wholly-centralized management would be ideal.

But what happens when your mad skillz help that small business grow into a medium-sized business in need of a medum-business website? What happens when your client moves past wanting just "a good website" and starts using words like "demographic" and "focused marketing message"? (All the things you've been harping on from the get-go)

In many such cases, simple translation alone won't cut it any more, because now they want targeted site content that appeals equally to each involved nationality. And you're probably dealing with a much bigger site now, so swapping out all the graphics and text starts to get a little cumbersome.

At this point, your task is either:
A - Taking that nice, centrally-managed site and splitting it up into independant sites that you can control more easily and more efficiently (less cluttered).

B - Patting yourself on the back for using subdomains in the first place. :)

...plus, aside from all this, the subdomain approach involves very little custom coding, and since it'll be the same tool on both sites, there's no extra management process that the client needs to be taught to use. :cool:

Your thoughts?

#6 christobal

christobal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the responses

Quite a nice take on the subject, Christobal. I think the solution you proposed would work well for the menu system. Any pearls of wisdom on the page content itself?

Page content for each language set could be handled as custom code object with an If statement which handles the referring link to page according to language of the menu choice used to call page.

The same applies to

In many such cases, simple translation alone won't cut it any more, because now they want targeted site content that appeals equally to each involved nationality. And you're probably dealing with a much bigger site now, so swapping out all the graphics and text starts to get a little cumbersome

Not all international sites handle this issue and as a multi lingual user I prefer unity of content in a web site regardless of language. Some sites are annoying in their presumption of "surfers" needs according to demographic location. The idea of an alternative language is to expand the intended audience and to allow the average "man" with limited language skills to obtain the required information (sometimes complicated) in a more familiar format.

P.S.
I started this thread as a lead to discussion on "Translations" .I was very glad to see that this version (4.7) has accommodated this issue.
As a user of Right to Left Semantic Character sets with an intended clientele for this product I, require further help on this subject, as the SMT client files should also handle the layout requirements for this language (direction =RTL) issue and not just the literal translations ( easy replacement)

TNX

#7 lowlands

lowlands

• Moderators
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

What is the status of this issue. Have there been any developments? Living in Europe I am running into this issue big time.

My clients need to have the same (reletively small) sites in Dutch, German and English. I really don't like to tell them that they have to login to a different sitebuilder for each language, let alone that the program eats a lot of server space (what is it 40mb?) per install.

Any new developments?

Theo
http://www.InterimPagina.nl - http://www.ConsultantPagina.nl - http://www.MijnBedrijfPagina.nl - http://www.verenigingspagina.nl Hosting prebuilt Soholauch sites for selfemployed professionals, small businesses and clubs.
Visit the first article directory in the Dutch language: www.WebsiteArtikelen.nl
Get your Dutch text graphics at www.WebsiteGraphics.nl

#8 Ruben

Ruben

www.Sohotemplates.com

• Moderators
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

I wish they created a solution for this, but sadly enough. just 1 language possible.

I have customers that need 2 or 3 languages, so its a big problem. for 1 i created indeed 3 different accounts, but its a big problem to update everything and not a good solution.

So i have given up on it (i have brought up this issues a 1000 times)

Ruben
Ruben

#9 lowlands

lowlands

• Moderators
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

Hi Ruben,

Long time since we last had contact. Still trying to expand so I haven't forgotten about our last discussions.

But what to do about this flexible menu issue? Seems that a lot of people don't realize that the majority of people don't speak English. So what shall we do? Organize a site down strike on Mikes front porch? :cool:

Theo
http://www.InterimPagina.nl - http://www.ConsultantPagina.nl - http://www.MijnBedrijfPagina.nl - http://www.verenigingspagina.nl Hosting prebuilt Soholauch sites for selfemployed professionals, small businesses and clubs.
Visit the first article directory in the Dutch language: www.WebsiteArtikelen.nl
Get your Dutch text graphics at www.WebsiteGraphics.nl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users