• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hollydoll

hollydoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

i have tried to use two custom templates on my site and one uploads but it says it's in the wrong format and the other looks like its uploaded but doesn't come up in the list. I renamed the folder but nothing is working! Idiots guide please?!

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Where did you get these custom templates?

Do you see the template folders in sohoadmin/program/modules/site_templates/pages folder?

#3 hollydoll

hollydoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

I tried two different templates from two different websites from free website template sites. program in soho admin???

#4 hollydoll

hollydoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

i changed the file name as the help file requests but it still doesnt work. i dont see how two templates from two different top free website templates sites can not be in format so theres something going wrong.

#5 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Soho templates have to be specifically designed for soho. Those free templates need to be converted by someone who knows how to do it.

#6 kyle04

kyle04

• Moderators
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:54 PM

Further to LWY's comment, a soho template folder needs at least an index.html file, which serves as the template skeleton (written in html format - usually a set of tables or divs containing essential elements such as #CONTENT#, #LOGO#, #VMENU# etc that soho uses to place the page content).
Also any background images need to be in the folder and referenced accordingly in the index.html file, and a custom.css file to handle the template styles.
You would need a reasonable working knowledge of html and css to convert what you have to a workable soho template.

AndyP

#7 hollydoll

hollydoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

I have looked in the file and theres an index.html file and it's got everything in there tha needs to be (I do have some basic knowledge of html, kind of learnt that in GCSE's) so it must be something with the other files. I know that it doesn't have to be a specific soholaunch template because in the "help" it says how to use customised templates, it's just not very good help. Sohos templates are boring and I don't see the point in paying for them on soho when I have some amazing free ones downloaded.

#8 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

I indicated in my previous post: "Soho templates have to be specifically designed for soho. Those free templates need to be converted by someone who knows how to do it. "

#9 PaulCroubalian

PaulCroubalian

• Moderators
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Yes, indeed, most Soho templates are indeed boring, at least the free ones.

Two Options:

1) Learn how to modify those "cool" ones and post them for sale yourself... you might make a few bucks.
2) Modify exiting templates to suit what you want (which is what I always do... working on my 17th site and have yet to use one straight out of the "box" so to speak)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users