Photo
- - - - -

Improvements previously discussed (a recap)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 christobal

christobal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:23 AM

Before the release of the 4.7 Betas and in the days of the old forum, there was a lot of discussion on the inclusion of a file-management layout.
To reiterate the discussion as it was.
A number of forum members suggested that there is a need to include a file-management script which allows for the separation or classification of different content types instead of the single file list which is currently in place.

From my delvings into the internals of the file structure used.The files are already caterogised according to type, that is to say: after uploading, the image type files are automatically placed in the root/images folder and the content/script: -csv,inc(renames php files), txt and form files are placed in the root/media folder. The same rule is applied in the page editor script. When choosing the object images, the file dropdown list only includes the content of the root/images folder. The same applies to the custom code object.

The only place in my opinion which requires "a spruce up" is the file manager window which instead of a flatfile presentation should show the files in their seperate catergories

Hope to Help
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research!

#2 Ruben

Ruben

www.Sohotemplates.com

• Moderators
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:38 AM

I agree that the filemanager is too basic at this moment and also hope they would be able to create a better one on short notice (i know they will).
Ruben
Visit www.sohotemplates.com for your Soholaunch templates
High Quality StockPhoto's ! www.microstockphoto.com
Looking for High Quality Flash files? check Flashden!

#3 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

A more structured file manager is in our plans as part of the 4.71, but so are alot of other things on that list as well. We originaly wanted to get this out in 4.7 but we made a list of things that could wait till 4.71 or 4.72 so that we could finaly release. I don't know when 4.71 will be complete but I do know that this is on our list.

#4 christobal

christobal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:03 PM

I realize now that this thread should have been an opener for the "Tips & Tricks" Section as my intention was to let uses know where to place content within the sohoadmin file structure without using the SMT management files. It was a suggestion for direct uploading of site content or in the case of "inc" type files as an access point to the files used within the edited pages , mainly for ease of access to the source files on the site when used with FTP publishing or site management within commercial or popular code editors and IDEs. Note Files should be accessible via FTP mappings with the appropriate permissions for such procedures.

Thanks for the input regarding this topic and the news that the file management interface will be enhanced in future releases.

P.s. Any chance of a History Section with a run down of issues handled by each release according to the release number and date?

#5 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:10 PM

Would you like to propose the idea of being able to upload/download the .con and .regen files though the SMT? I do think that a feature like that would be benificial to more experienced users/ coders. Maybe this could be added to the file manager as well as the more complex directory structure.

#6 christobal

christobal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:18 PM

Would you like to propose the idea of being able to upload/download the .con and .regen files though the SMT? I do think that a feature like that would be benificial to more experienced users/ coders. Maybe this could be added to the file manager as well as the more complex directory structure.

Sure looks like a good idea.
Any references to these files and their management should be documemted in the update of the user manual !

#7 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:57 PM

Sure looks like a good idea.
Any references to these files and their management should be documemted in the update of the user manual !

http://docs.soholaunch.com Docs.soho is our "advanced user"/reseller site. Here you can find information on things of this nature, though I don't believe we have any docs on .con and .regen files just yet, we will get them up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users