9 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Dillman

Greg Dillman

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:52 AM

I have a tabbed, auto-scrolling slideshow written in jquery on my site. It has been functioning up until I upgraded to r39. Basically, it makes use of "sliding" <li> tags.

How I realized the build update has caused some issue was through a test I conducted on a development site. After I discovered failure on the live site, I checked the dev site which was running a sample of the slideshow successfully. Right after I upgraded from r36 to r39, fail. I've kicked myself for not making use of the dev site for the update first.

Any suggestions to overcome the problem would be most appreciated.

The original demo of the slideshow script I borrowed can be seen here:
Tabbed jQuery slideshow

The problem child is here:
Learn More about AmericasPool

Note all the slides show up at once rather than "hide" awaiting their turn like you see in the demo.

If you're interested in the instructions for the slideshow:
Build an Auto-Scrolling Slideshow That Works With and Without JavaScript | Nettuts+

Thanks for your help.

#2 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Just a thought but as the slideshow is using Soho's Custom PHP Output, it seems that the code has been enclosed in <head> and </head> tags in which you have the script; I'm guessing that the instructions for use of the script say to do this.....

Have you tested it without the head tags on the custom php and putting the <script> tags inside the head tags of the index.html of the template? It looks like it's not calling the script at the moment.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive. - Robert A. Heinlein
Soho, Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc Template & Web Design - Data Recovery

#3 kyle04

kyle04

• Moderators
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

The tag :
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

is not present your problem page...?

#4 Greg Dillman

Greg Dillman

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for the response Dr.Jon

I did as indicated - reference to <script> is now only called within index.html of the template. No change to my problem.

Something I discovered is the parent directory for src= is no longer public_html. It is now the location of the template.

So, where I could have the following line (which used to function properly when I placed the script in the media directory):

<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/jquery.cycle.js"></script>

When you view the page source, it is coming out:

<script type="text/javascript" src="sohoadmin/program/modules/site_templates/pages/AP_tour_test/media/slideshow.js"></script>

"AP_tour_test" is the name of my template. Naturally, I do not have a media folder because up to recently, SohoLaunch would look for /media in the public_html folder.

So, I had to adjust my code because now (it seems) SohoLaunch went from the parent of public_html to be the template location. No big deal, I made the adjustment. It sure is curious though...

Back to the issue. With my adjustments, it looks like the scripts are being called. I also made an adjustment to have the CSS file originally associated with the slideshow blended with custom.css. It used to be two style sheets were called, now just one which is included with my custom template. This seems to work as well.

I decided to get to a raw form of the slideshow which is located at the following location if anyone is interested in viewing the page or source code:

AmericasPool: Your Premier Site for Sports Pools 2010slideshowtest

The template is very simple. index.html only calls the scripts in the head and the variable #content# in the body. The slideshow itself is the "raw" demo as referenced in the original post. Very basic. I was hoping perhaps that would work and I could find a glitch in my own code; sadly, no.

Just to be sure the demo slideshow is not itself messed up, I placed it onto a friend's site with permission. If you're interested in proof:

Tabbed jQuery slideshow

I'm totally confused. Could something being getting stomped on?

I noted two style sheets getting loaded by Soholaunch but haven't checked them out:

<link href="sohoadmin/program/includes/display_elements/window/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="sohoadmin/program/includes/display_elements/window/onscreen_edit.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Unsure if those have anything to do with it.

I'll have to think of a prize to the one who solves this mystery.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Greg

ps: kyle04, your post came in just as I was drafting this response. I opened up the !DOCTYPE declaration in the script for 2010slideshowtest.php as referenced above. Still no change. Where is the appropriate area for the declaration? Does it need to be in more than one place? (templates, scripts, etc...)

#5 dresswell

dresswell

Soho Dog

• Administrators
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

Have you tried to redo the update again?
1st one may have not updated properly.
dresswell

Free Soholaunch Hosting
Soholaunch Pro or Soholaunch Ultra Free with Hosting.
Check out our soholaunch hosting if your tried others

and were disappointed with your host or there support.
Get the help you need to build your website today.

Now offering a 99cent 1st. month Trial Offer.
Easy Website Maker

#6 Greg Dillman

Greg Dillman

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

Second update saw no change. Nice thought, but my problem has occurred on two SL installs.

#7 Greg Dillman

Greg Dillman

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

Note - The problem page has moved:

Learn More about AmericasPool

The production page has gone back to our old Flash presentation.

#8 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

I have to say I'm stumped as well.... Everything looks like it should work....

When I get a moment, I'll test it on a Soho site to see what's occurring. I'm assuming that there's a variable you can change to get from horizontal to vertical scrolling?
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive. - Robert A. Heinlein
Soho, Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc Template & Web Design - Data Recovery

#9 Greg Dillman

Greg Dillman

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

Yes, you can change the direction of scroll. Within the slideshow.js file, adjust the fx variable (scrollUp, scrollDown, ...Left, ...Right).

#10 Greg Dillman

Greg Dillman

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

FIXED!

SohoLaunch support got back to me with an answer.

"We re-integrated some jquery functions into the build via prototype, which are probably conflicting with your slideshow. You should be able to just remove the inclusion of prototype.js from pgm-realtime_builder.php"

It gets better. Garth Dennis from Allied Plugins wrote a plugin to replace code offending some jquery scripts (like mine) due to SohoLaunch updates. Not to set blame on SohoLaunch; just one of those things in a world of mixed magic. His plugin prevents having to re-apply changes each time there is an update.

Thanks Garth! And thanks Mike at support, Dr.Jon, Kyle04 & dresswell and everyone who participated in this adventure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users