• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gogohost

gogohost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

Hi there, I'm evaluating site builders to add to my hosting service. The primary requriements are

1. Excpetionally easy to use for the barely computer literate.
2. Minimal but present e-commerce functions, which are also trivially easy to use.
3. Cross platform - Windows, Mac and *nix, effectivly this means that it's gotta run in the gecko layout engine (Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany etc).

Soho I think satisfies points 1 and 2, but lags waaaaay behind on point 3.

What sort of timeframe are we looking at before a version of Soho is available that will run cross platform? Either it's soon, and I wait, or it's not soon and I have to disregard Soho as another failed attempt at a sitebuilder for now.

#2 gogohost

gogohost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

I might also add that I'm surprised it is taking so long for Soho to get to the point where it works in Mozilla based browsers, really, it shouldn't be that hard, a couple of days work tops unless the soho code is real spaghetti or uses ActiveX or something dumb like that.

Replace the html editing component with something like Xinha, make the D&D work cross browser (should be do-able, I've done lots of DD myself in DHTML applications that run on moz just as well as IE (better infact)), and convert things like modal dialogs (which don't exist in Moz, but you can do something similar, see dialog.js in the Xinha distribution for example).

#3 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

Gogo, We Are working hard on intigrating drag n' drop into Pro Edition. In fact, the first beta went out for testing today. As for a timeframe, I can't say, but it will be in version 5 (our next version). Infact Everything in the current build works in Gecko base browsers, except for the page editor. The biggest hurdle we had to overcome was the fact that our page editor uses the javascript commands ondragstart, and ondragstop to dragn'drop, but these commands only works in internet explorer. We have create series of jscript routines inorder to make Soholaunch crossbrowser friendly.
Cameron Allen
Director of Technical Services
Soholaunch.com Inc ...Website Building Made Easy

#4 gogohost

gogohost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:01 AM

So, like I say, what sort of time frame? If it's not far away (weeks, month pehaps) then I could wait until I can evaluate the gecko based soho.

If it's still some time away then I gotta look elsewhere. Probably that means developing my own system, but I'm trying to avoid that because then that means that I'm the one who has to support it :-!

What I'm saying is, are we talking closer to 6 months or closer to 1 month? You must be able to give some sort of hand wavy estimate.

#5 gogohost

gogohost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:05 AM

While I'm here and on the subject actually, one thing I don't like about the current Soho, which you may already have addressed in the development versions, is that to insert an image you must first have uploaded it - you can't do the uploading "on the fly" as it were.

That's a really bad usability problem IMHO because users shouldn't have to do two completely separate processes (first go to files and upload it, then you can select that file in the image drop down) to accomplish one task ("I want to put an image here"). All it needs is a button next to the drop down "Upload New Image".

I'm sure you've already addressed this problem, but in case you havn't, there you go.

#6 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

What I'm saying is, are we talking closer to 6 months or closer to 1 month? You must be able to give some sort of hand wavy estimate.

I can't give a solid time table for this, I find I get in trouble that way. I will say it is much closer to 1 month than 3, possibly sooner.

While I'm here and on the subject actually, one thing I don't like about the current Soho, which you may already have addressed in the development versions, is that to insert an image you must first have uploaded it - you can't do the uploading "on the fly" as it were.

That's a really bad usability problem IMHO because users shouldn't have to do two completely separate processes (first go to files and upload it, then you can select that file in the image drop down) to accomplish one task ("I want to put an image here"). All it needs is a button next to the drop down "Upload New Image".

This was added last release.
Cameron Allen
Director of Technical Services
Soholaunch.com Inc ...Website Building Made Easy

#7 demostorm

demostorm

• Moderators
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

I advocate patience (as I know the OP has been utilizing)

As a beta tester I can tell you Cameron is not blowing smoke. The scope of the changes has us straining to make sure we can keep up on our end (training) when they finally are realized (leaving us much more than a little behind in the present).

Since Cameron has let the existence of the Beta out of the bag I can add that this is no Alpha. It works and from my side I see only one or maybe two issues to resolve. Please understand that Soholaunch is doing the prudent thing. Work out ALL the issue you know about before releasing or even announcing a release .

Cross browser compatability is not the only major change coming. I feel extremely confident in saying that no one who goes with Soholaunch now will regret the decision. I know all the major sitebuilders out there and objectively this sitebuilder is about to blow pass all the others with maybe one sitebuilder (thats monetary and installation price is alot higher to get started) being able to even come close in competing with it. No smoke.

#8 JamesT

JamesT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

Hi All,

as a customer I woluld like to see X browser support ASAP, I have clients in europe and in particular in governemtn that prefer non MS browsers, this is a potential sales showstopper for me.

Apart from that am happy with the software its great and I don't think I will regret my decision once we see some steady progress with the refining of the code base.

Building a website is hard enough imagine what these guys have to go through.

Hi there, I'm evaluating site builders to add to my hosting service. The primary requriements are

1. Excpetionally easy to use for the barely computer literate.
2. Minimal but present e-commerce functions, which are also trivially easy to use.
3. Cross platform - Windows, Mac and *nix, effectivly this means that it's gotta run in the gecko layout engine (Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany etc).

Soho I think satisfies points 1 and 2, but lags waaaaay behind on point 3.

What sort of timeframe are we looking at before a version of Soho is available that will run cross platform? Either it's soon, and I wait, or it's not soon and I have to disregard Soho as another failed attempt at a sitebuilder for now.

#9 dwefowee

dwefowee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:48 PM

Is there anything similar to soho that works on a mac? using firefox maybe?

#10 Jim Buckler

Jim Buckler

Soholaunch Sales

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

Soholaunch build 4.8.5 (now our current release) works across browser platforms for site editing.
Jim Buckler
Soholaunch Sales
[email=""]sales@soholaunch.com[/email]

+1 678-261-4030 x611 US/International
Soholaunch Website Builder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users