Very Frustrated...Need Help Guys..

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Snipe

Snipe

• Moderators
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:34 AM

I spent about 7 hours yesterday trying to find where I can edit the side menu under the navigation bar, Home page on my site, and for the love of god I can not find it...Why is this the only area I can not edit..?? All I can find is the main body..

Cameron offered to help me a few months ago on helping me put something there ...But I don't want to keep coming back to him, Joe or Mike on this issue when I want to change it...

Its simple ....I NEED SOME HELP.. :)

#2 SteveR

SteveR

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:26 AM

I spent about 7 hours yesterday trying to find where I can edit the side menu under the navigation bar, Home page on my site, and for the love of god I can not find it...Why is this the only area I can not edit..?? All I can find is the main body..

Joe offered to help me a few months ago on helping me put something there ...But I don't want to keep coming back to him, Cameron or Mike on this issue when I want to change it...

Its simple ....I NEED SOME HELP.. :)

Hey, Snipe!

I read your past post about this...Are you trying to insert a linked image below the menu area in a template? Look here real quick and tell me if this is where you had in mind:

http://www.planyourmeetings.com

I put both an image and .swf below the menu on that one. Is that what you want to do?

-Steve

#3 Snipe

Snipe

• Moderators
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

Hey, Snipe!

I read your past post about this...Are you trying to insert a linked image below the menu area in a template? Look here real quick and tell me if this is where you had in mind:

http://www.planyourmeetings.com

I put both an image and .swf below the menu on that one. Is that what you want to do?

-Steve

Yes thats the area I want to get to....I want to put a java script or a flash news ticker under the Nav bar...

#4 SteveR

SteveR

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:13 AM

Yes thats the area I want to get to....I want to put a java script or a flash news ticker under the Nav bar...

Okay, cool. I thought you were just going to use an image; using javascript will require using a variable (probably #custominc# or #customphp#) that calls your news script.

Placing the variable is easy, but I've never used those variables, so I can't help with the nuts and bolts of making it work. I noticed Cameron had offered to do it for you then post the procedure, so why not give him a call? I'd like to see the procedure myself. Sorry...good luck!

-Steve

#5 icarrion

icarrion

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:20 PM

Wouldn't you just have to modify the current html template? Use a html editor like Dreamweaver and add it then upload it back.

#6 SteveR

SteveR

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

Wouldn't you just have to modify the current html template? Use a html editor like Dreamweaver and add it then upload it back.

Might work that way; I just have had poor luck getting embedded javascript (except rollovers and other simple stuff) to work inside a template. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work that way, though. Have you been able to get scripts to work within a template?

#7 SteveR

SteveR

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

Thanks to buildsmarter and the search button, we have this:

You can do this easily using template_include.inc just place this file in your templates directory and place #CUSTOMINC# in your template where you want the (script) to show up and you should be all good. You can also create a .html file and upload it to the media directory and then go into your site pages and drag the customcode button down and choose that file. THis is only if you want it to show on certain pages or different (scripts) on different pages but if you want the (script) to run on the whole site and even new pages then you would integrate it into your template with the first method above.

That about covers it...good luck.

-Steve

#8 Snipe

Snipe

• Moderators
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:46 PM

You know my Mother always told me I never would leave things alone...Let people do what they do best...

I finally found the area I was looking for...So I thought.... I went into the HTML editor and found where I wanted to put a link in and did a preview...Buddy I was cooking with gas...Then I have know idea what the hell I did after that..Now when I try and view the page all I get is the Template with the Nav Bar ...All the content in the main body has vanished ...It still shows to be their in the page editor but not on any of my pages..It looks like I changed the code for the Template and I can not find what is missing.... :(

Hey Cameron, Mike or Joe...Could you help out a Ole friend... :(

#9 SteveR

SteveR

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:47 PM

You know my Mother always told me I never would leave things alone...Let people do what they do best...

I finally found the area I was looking for...So I thought.... I went into the HTML editor and found where I wanted to put a link in and did a preview...Buddy I was cooking with gas...Then I have know idea what the hell I did after that..Now when I try and view the page all I get is the Template with the Nav Bar ...All the content in the main body has vanished ...It still shows to be their in the page editor but not on any of my pages..It looks like I changed the code for the Template and I can not find what is missing.... :(

Did you check to make sure that #content# is still there?

#10 Guest_Joe Lain_*

Guest_Joe Lain_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

Sounds like a tag didnt get closed, or the include is causing some type of problem. Which files are you modifying?

#11 icarrion

icarrion

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:38 PM

Post the html here if you're still having problems

#12 demostorm

demostorm

• Moderators
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:21 PM

What HTML editor are you using? Some are known to create havoc. Plus ALWAYS make sure that you have a copy of the file for safe keeping. But like Icarrion requested it would be great to se the code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users