Convert template..bit of help lplease.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 busi6292

busi6292

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

I know the basics of dreamweaver and I definitly know the things like index.html is the global file etc. and the style.css is the fonts and what they do etc. I also understand the #PAGECONTENT# AND #HMAINS# etc are soho'ss unique code to determine where everything goes.

My question is what do I need to change? I have read the 16 page pdf on making your own template and also the wiki page on custom template reference. I though i had done everything, but when I go on the site, it comes up with a blank page What could that reason be?

The template I want to use is free, I have downloaded it, all I need to do is convert it. Do i just need t change the index file?

Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:38 AM

There are many possible reasons for the template not working...

To convert a generic template to soho, yes you need to change the index.html file and make a custom.css file (rename whatever it comes with to this name). You'll need #CONTENT# for your page content area at the minimum. The rest is basically the same process to make an HTML file work.

#3 busi6292

busi6292

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:08 AM

Thank you for your reply. I renamed the css to what you said and attached the index file to new renamed css. Still doesn't work. I have put a #CONTENT# section, just to see any images at all will work and no luck?

#4 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

Why don't start with modifying a built-in soho template to get a hang of it before tackling a brand new conversion? Too many things can go wrong and there is really no way of knowing where and what you did not do correctly.

#5 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

Course, if you really get stuck, there are people on here who do this kind of thing for a reasonable fee ;)
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive. - Robert A. Heinlein
Soho, Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc Template & Web Design - Data Recovery

#6 kyle04

kyle04

• Moderators
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

As lwyau says, try with gradual modifications to an existing template (and the index.html file that goes with it). I have greatly modified mine, which owing to my then limited experience took a bit of time, but was worth the results and the challenge. If you are familiar with html basics, the fundamental point to remember is the index.html template is just a set of tables which follow the normal rules. The #VMENU, #HMENU etc built in menu code can be modified/deleted/replaced as required (I would leave the #CONTENT well alone though !). Take a look at my site to see what is possible :
http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk
although by no means as good as I would like yet - it may give you a few ideas. As you become familiar with the soho file system, more and more mods are possible. Try and cross reference your custom template html code with the index.html code of an existing template - a good tip is to first set the primary table borders to "1" to see where all the joins lie !
Good Luck !
Andy P

#7 reiselaender

reiselaender

Soho Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

As lwyau says, try with gradual modifications to an existing template (and the index.html file that goes with it). I have greatly modified mine, which owing to my then limited experience took a bit of time, but was worth the results and the challenge. If you are familiar with html basics, the fundamental point to remember is the index.html template is just a set of tables which follow the normal rules. The #VMENU, #HMENU etc built in menu code can be modified/deleted/replaced as required (I would leave the #CONTENT well alone though !). Take a look at my site to see what is possible :
Stockists of Liberon,Briwax,Fiddes,Tung oil wood finishes & stains
although by no means as good as I would like yet - it may give you a few ideas. As you become familiar with the soho file system, more and more mods are possible. Try and cross reference your custom template html code with the index.html code of an existing template - a good tip is to first set the primary table borders to "1" to see where all the joins lie !
Good Luck !
Andy P

Why, thanks for these tips. I am currently working on a custom template for SOHO launch. I would like to see some samples of templates that works well with soho, and your site is a good example I can study.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users