6 replies to this topic

#1 Geminineil

Geminineil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

This might seem a bit odd, as it sort of goes against the concept of a global template. BUT, I would like to keep the overall look of the global template but would like to have page relevant text in the top section and not a global text that is the same on every page. Can anyone advise me how to do this?

:ehheh:

Edited by Geminineil, 29 July 2008 - 05:03 PM.
incorect text in title

#2 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

Assign a different template to each page. If you have a template you like, you can modify it and save/upload it with a similar name.

Then you can have the 'global' template for the site, and the modded template for the front page.

In the index.html file of the template, you can include anything you want - even remove any Soho tags or content you don't want appearing, and relace it with the text that you do.

You won't be able to edit that text in sohoadmin though.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive. - Robert A. Heinlein
Soho, Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc Template & Web Design - Data Recovery

#3 Geminineil

Geminineil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

okay... I have about 100 pages on my website that I guess I will have to copy and modify the global template... which I can do... I figure that if I go into the website control panel and copy the template I like.. "KISS" for example... rename it... and then edit it... BUT the text that I already have in the global template isn't there to be amended... so how do I edit the section that 'looks for' the global template text? what does this coding look like? AND if I enter text in the KISS .index.html will the global text also still want to come through?

as clear as mud... :)

ps... I am NOT a techie.... just trying to figure out what is the easist way of doing this... :huh:

answer in clearn techo speak? (pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese) :ehheh:

#4 Geminineil

Geminineil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for input Dr Jon!! :geek:

#5 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but it seems to me that, if the text is page-specfic, why don't you remove the header from the template altogether, and make it an text editor object on each page where you can have different text by page?

#6 Geminineil

Geminineil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

With the Global Template I have the same Header for all of my website pages... and while I am no. 1 on Google for a few competitive terms.. I am thinking that if the header were page specific I might get some more pages higher in rankings... :ehheh:

I am not totally sure how to edit out the header.... and the prospect of copying the 'global template' about 100 times doesn't really appeal to me... but I am not sure of an easier route... :hmm:

Any suggestions?

I will pm you my website link as I don't like to spam it on here....

#7 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:16 PM

As I suggested in my PM response, you can replace the #LOGO# tag with the #PAGETITLE# tag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users