• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dfox

dfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:48 AM

Why some images are, disappearing, even if they are visible in the edit page. I have to fix this all the time for my clients. Rather annoying, it is easy to fix, but a pain in the bud. Will there be a quick fix for it in the next release, or is this already addressed in the 4.81 15 versions. Otherwise great software!
Max

#2 Guest_Joe Lain_*

Guest_Joe Lain_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:32 PM

Why some images are, disappearing, even if they are visible in the edit page. I have to fix this all the time for my clients. Rather annoying, it is easy to fix, but a pain in the bud. Will there be a quick fix for it in the next release, or is this already addressed in the 4.81 15 versions. Otherwise great software!
Max

Can you give me more information on where and when this is happening. We have done a fix similar to this so I am trying to find out if this is something seperate. Also what steps do you take to fix this for your clients. Thanks in advance for your help and input! :)

#3 dfox

dfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:18 AM

Can you give me more information on where and when this is happening. We have done a fix similar to this so I am trying to find out if this is something seperate. Also what steps do you take to fix this for your clients. Thanks in advance for your help and input! :)

Hi, this arises when people just edit their text. Version 4.81 built 5 Fantastico install. It develops only with images dragged to page not with pictures included in editor or the images in shopping cart. All I do is delete the visible image and replace it immediately with the same image. That is all. If you have many images that is quite cumbersome. It does not always do this, but quite often regardless of servers used.
Thanks Max

#4 broberts

broberts

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

This is a random bug that I have seen too. When this happen it shows the exact path of the image but not the image. I was not sure if it was just me that was this what happening to, but this post confirms others are having the problem.

The way I fix the images is as what Dfox posted... Delete then replace.

I am running build 4.81 build 15 on Win 2000 servers.
Bradley E. Roberts Jr.
LinkLv.Com
Owner/MCSE+I/CNE
E-mail: broberts@linklv.com
Microsoft Windows Hosting and Support
--------------------------------------------------------------
Register your Domain with LinkLvRegister.Com today for $7.95 year and lower!
WebTemplatesStore - Over 3000+ Website Templates for sale!
LinkLvPrinting.com for all your printing needs
--------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Guest_Joe Lain_*

Guest_Joe Lain_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

This is a random bug that I have seen too. When this happen it shows the exact path of the image but not the image. I was not sure if it was just me that was this what happening to, but this post confirms others are having the problem.

The way I fix the images is as what Dfox posted... Delete then replace.

I am running build 4.81 build 15 on Win 2000 servers.

I can not seem to duplicate this bug... Is there a site that I can view this on? If so, please PM me with the site and the login. Thank you for your help in resolving this issue.

#6 dfox

dfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:44 PM

I can not seem to duplicate this bug... Is there a site that I can view this on? If so, please PM me with the site and the login. Thank you for your help in resolving this issue.

I have a case right now, I did not fix it yet. It is a Lingerie site, I hope you are OK with this. Of course, I can not post it here, it is customer site and a online store. If you have an email I can use I will email you the info you need to get in. You can reach me at fox@desertfox.com
Hope you can help, Max

#7 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Max, I sent you an email.
Cameron Allen
Director of Technical Services
Soholaunch.com Inc ...Website Building Made Easy

#8 fyllesyk

fyllesyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:34 AM

i am also having the exactly same problem. is there a solution to this?
and also i have 3 logos with link in the bottom of the page and when the page has been updated the pictures have changed.. is there a fix for that? (on the edit templates the logos are right, but in the browser it shows different pictures) and yes.. i have saved the page. hehe

#9 brianoz

brianoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:57 PM

We've also had customer complaints about this. Any idea how long it will take to fix?

#10 Guest_Joe Lain_*

Guest_Joe Lain_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

We've also had customer complaints about this. Any idea how long it will take to fix?

I am currently working on this bug. The problem is I can't reproduce it on any of our test sites.

There is a bug report with this issue laid out here. After following the steps to reproduce (and many other variations), the bug still does not present itself :( . This only seems to happen when I actually need to see the bug!

Does anyone have a test site that they can reproduce this on, that I can take a look at? This bug has lingered for long enough and I would like to get it taken care of as soon as possible.

#11 macomb

macomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:27 AM

This has happened at least once to each site I have using Soholaunch. I have not been able to "deliberately" re-create the bug, but it does happen at random, even on my own sites that I've used soholaunch on.
-Richard

#12 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

The reason images are disapearing is because users log into /sohoadmin using www.domainname.com/sohoadmin and save a page, then if they log into /sohoadmin using domainname.com/sohoadmin (notice no www.) and edit a page with an image on it that was placed while logged in using www. . When the page is saved all images will break because the user accesses /sohoadmin with both www. and without. To prevent this you should use the same format when typing in the domainname to access /sohoadmin. Both www. and without work, just keep it consistent.
Cameron Allen

#13 george

george

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:53 PM

perhaps it is really a DNS issue.

if www.domainname.com and domain.com do not resolve to the same place, then any media link (i believe) will break for those using the link that isnt working correctly.

IE - if img src=www.domainname.com/images/filename.jpg it should also work if domainname.com/images/filename.jpg if the DNS is set up correctly.

The reason images are disapearing is because users log into /sohoadmin using www.domainname.com/sohoadmin and save a page, then if they log into /sohoadmin using domainname.com/sohoadmin (notice no www.) and edit a page with an image on it that was placed while logged in using www. . When the page is saved all images will break because the user accesses /sohoadmin with both www. and without. To prevent this you should use the same format when typing in the domainname to access /sohoadmin. Both www. and without work, just keep it consistent.

George Callaghan

#14 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

Its not a dns issue. Sites that are accessable through both www. and without, have this problem. The problem is the tool takes out the image tags surounding the image tag, when saving a page if logged in differently from last time (i.e. www when you usualy don't use www.). We are working on a fix for this, but this bug has been quite a pain.
Cameron Allen

#15 jeffhope

jeffhope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:20 PM

Until a fix is in place, on Unix based machines, you can modify your .htaccess file (in your root directory, and assuming your host allows it), so that requests without the WWW are changed to display the WWW. There are other SEO-related reasons to do this anyway.

You may need to modify your FTP client so that it shows all files in order to see . htaccess . The file really is .htaccess - note the "." is the first character in the file name.

You can download / edit the .htaccess file on your own system, or if you have a control panel, like Cpanel or Ensim, you can probably edit the file directly on your server. Be very careful in editing the .htaccess file - make a backup copy before you do anything else!

This coding says "If the entered URL doesn't contain "www" then rewrite the URL so that it does contain "www", and send a 301 response to the browser (or spider), meaning location of requested file is permanently moved.

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.yoursite\.com
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.yoursite.com/$1 [R=301,L]

p.s. - Depending on your server, you may have to add:

Options +FollowSymLinks 

as the first line in the above code, before RewriteEngine on. Again, your host will have to allow changes to .htaccess. Most do.

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users