• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

OK everypeeps, I'm almost done with this site. If you get a moment or two can you take a look at http://xxx.xxxx and see what you think please?

It's in development before it gets handed over to the client, and any constructive criticism at this stage is most welcome. Obviously the content is missong for the most part, and the sub menus may be a bit sparse, but I don't want to get too far down the road before it gets flamed ;)

Cheers

Doc.

Edited by DrJon, 17 July 2008 - 11:59 AM.
Site has been moved to client's domain. Post no longer relevant.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive. - Robert A. Heinlein
Soho, Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc Template & Web Design - Data Recovery

#2 Blues

Blues

If 6 was 9

• Moderators
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi Doc,

Looking good. Using IE7 and XP SP2 - 1024 x 768 resolution - slight bit of horizontal scrolling but that could be me after last nights game celebrations ;)

See you changed the hmains look - nice.

No. 66 - do you remember Johnny Rae? The pink RC45 he had. :)
:uh:
Life, n.:
A whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.
Our Lighting Store

#3 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

Hey Blues

I tested in IE 6 & 7 and FF 2.0 at that resolution, so I guess you should have taken more water with it :lmao:

The same Johnny Rae that was doing so well last year in Superbikes, from your neck of the woods? I don't remember his RC, but I'd still buy one today given the chance :heart: :heart: :heart: mmmmm proper bike.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive. - Robert A. Heinlein

#4 Blues

Blues

If 6 was 9

• Moderators
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

so I guess you should have taken more water with it :lmao:

:yikes: water with it and ruin the flavour, not a chance ;)

The same Johnny Rae that was doing so well last year in Superbikes, from your neck of the woods? I don't remember his RC, but I'd still buy one today given the chance :heart: :heart: :heart: mmmmm proper bike.

No, older guy actually, that lad you mentioned must be about twenty years old. It was one of the first 45s in Ireland. Lurid pink.
:uh:
Life, n.:
A whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.
Our Lighting Store

#5 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

Lurid pink.

Hmm... tempting.... Nah, Best not :lol:

#6 draknet

draknet

• Moderators
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

OK everypeeps, I'm almost done with this site. If you get a moment or two can you take a look at http://pro-adsl.co.uk and see what you think please?

It's in development before it gets handed over to the client, and any constructive criticism at this stage is most welcome. Obviously the content is missong for the most part, and the sub menus may be a bit sparse, but I don't want to get too far down the road before it gets flamed ;)

Cheers

Doc.

I really like it, but... :)

I'm on XP, viewing in FF latest mis-aligns the top and bottom box.

Screenshot:

http://www.drak.net/ukshot.jpg

DrakNet Web Hosting | (Or just me: jenlepp.com | Twitter: @jenlepp)
Please note that DrakNet no longer offers licensed Soholaunch as of 9/1/2010 - if you are looking at an old forum post that recommends us as a Soholaunch host, please note that situation has changed since the post was made.

#7 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

Aaaagh..... :uh:

Thanks Jen - you have nooooo idea how long it took me to line up all the divs within divs....

Ah well, at least it's not live yet (maybe I can charge a few more hours :iseeit: ). This'll be on tomorrow's agenda now.

#8 draknet

draknet

• Moderators
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

I just had this issue redesigning my main site - I decided in my sheer brilliance that I was going to redesign my site without any tables whatsoever, and have a pure CSS site.

It was like playing technological whack-a-mole - I line it up on Safari and FF and Opera, it breaks in IE. I line it up on IE, and it breaks in Safari and FF and Opera.

Needless to say, my site is still run by tables. And will be for a good long while, darn, it, at least until I can afford to replace the computer I will wind up throwing out the window.

System administration is much simpler. :) I respect all of you designers but, man, I don't envy you at all.

Please note that DrakNet no longer offers licensed Soholaunch as of 9/1/2010 - if you are looking at an old forum post that recommends us as a Soholaunch host, please note that situation has changed since the post was made.

#9 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

I respect all of you designers but, man, I don't envy you at all.

Actually, I'm not a designer - I'm a forensic analyst ! I only do this because a lot of the work I get commissioned to do in my regular work is entirely disgusting and I can't handle more than one job a month.

The site I'm doing now is based on tables too, but in order to get them to work without the content of one affecting the position of the content of another, I had to embed them in embedded <div>s - what a learning curve that was :uh: .

I did come across a css script which allowed for floating or fixed column layouts which, in theory, should work better.

I gave up on that pretty damn quick :lmao:

#10 draknet

draknet

• Moderators
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

Actually, I'm not a designer - I'm a forensic analyst ! I only do this because a lot of the work I get commissioned to do in my regular work is entirely disgusting and I can't handle more than one job a month.

Ok, you're a biker, and a forensic analyst.

Dude, I think you're tougher than any web designer I've ever met, officially. :puff:

#11 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

And this is me: http://brody.org.uk/images/bike2.jpg in my racing days on a Yoshimura Suzuki.

Now I'm getting ready for a pipe, slippers and days spent fly fishin' - not feeling so tough these days I can tell ya ;)

#12 draknet

draknet

• Moderators
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

I don't know how the hell you guys get up the courage to have your knee off asphalt at those speeds on those curves. Just .... oy vey.

#13 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

It's almost (note: not as good) as *** ;)

We turn the fear/adrenaline into a grin and just enjoy the ride - I never met a racer who wasn't sitting on the start line thinking: "What the HELL am I doing here?" :lol:

And I can honestly say, that dragging a knee slider on the tarmac at 180 mph round a constant bend is like no other sensation you're ever likely to experience - it's scary but fun.

I know, I know, we all need treament :)

#14 matt420

matt420

• Moderators
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

i hope your not into skydiving too,how many years have you been biking,i dont watch much racing on tv,but those bike races are great to watch,great website to,at least you know what your doing,that html stuff is to confusing for me

#15 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:12 AM

Well, I started messing around on bikes before I was ten - l lived out in the sticks in those days; entered my first competition in 1965 and finally retired from racing bikes in '97 - so, a great many years :yikes:

Thanks for the freedback re the site; html is just like biking - the more you do it, the better you get. Although you do crash from time to time :)

#16 NST Inc Designer

NST Inc Designer

• Moderators
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

As for the CSS, have a look at the Yahoo grids system. Makes the learning curve a little flatter.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/

It's cut and paste really. Then you can just start adding your style to the existing framework. Plus as a bonus, it's all standards compliant xhtml and css. Yeah!
Soholaunch Templates by tim burroughs

#17 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Dayum! I coulda just cut and pasted that stuff after all :megafrown:

That's a really useful link - cheers for that.

#18 draknet

draknet

• Moderators
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:29 AM

As for the CSS, have a look at the Yahoo grids system. Makes the learning curve a little flatter.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/

It's cut and paste really. Then you can just start adding your style to the existing framework. Plus as a bonus, it's all standards compliant xhtml and css. Yeah!

Oooooooooh. You win the awesome link cookie today!

#19 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

Just wanted to say thanks agin for that link Tim. I spent part of the weekend looking around that whole Yui site - it's brilliant!

There is so much help (and working examples) on that site of so many things, that it seems that creating my own templates is going to be a lot less difficult in the future.

Cheers again.

#20 DrJon

DrJon

I was never confused....

• Moderators
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

Well that Yahoo stuff came in really handy with nesting the divs.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the client has finally, almost, approved the site so as soon as the content comes through it should go live on their domain soon.

If you wanna tear it to pieces - figuratively speaking of course - the dev site is at http://xxx.xxx take a look and see what ya think. I can still tweak it if any of you find any errors or design flaws.

Cheers.

Doc.

Edited by DrJon, 17 July 2008 - 12:01 PM.
Site moved to client domain - post no longer relevant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users