• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

I have installed a new template and I want to change the colours of the text, the colours I wish to change are controlled by the CSS and I can edit it as required, I am unable to save it because permission denied message comes up, I have tried to change it to 777 using FTP and using the cpanel but it always says permission denied I can not delete, rename, change or anything using FTP or Cpanel file manager.

I am sure I saw this problem highlighted before but cant remember where, I have searched these forums and my web hosts forum and cant locate it.

Any ideas its getting very annoying, the only difference I can see is the owner is 99 and a different owner for all the other template directories.

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

The folder and files are owned by "nobody" and you can't do much about it unless you ask your host to change the permission for you.

You can, however, download the entire folder, make whatever changes you need on your computer, zip it up (make sure each component's path includes the folder name), and upload the zipfile via sohoadmin template manager. As a matter of fact, it is a good idea to change the folder name (hence the template name) so you don't mess with the original.

#3 NST Inc Designer

NST Inc Designer

• Moderators
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:53 AM

If you ftp the template folder (not zipped) to the template directory you have full ownership and can modify freely.
Soholaunch Templates by tim burroughs

#4 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for your help

The thing is now I have a directory that I cant delete, edit, or overwrite unless I ask my hosting company to change it.

Is this a problem with the install process? will I not be able to install using the template install facility in soho? is this a common problem? should there not be a warning?

So many questions but this is taking up too much of my time.

I have done a unix course many years ago forgotten most of it, don't have the time for a refresher, I am assuming things will change when I get my VPS or dedicated server.

#5 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

It is because your host does not run phpsuexec or equivalent on the server. As a result, PHP scripts file operation is done with the "nobody" as the owner.

#6 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for all your help it really is appreciated.

I will get on to my host to see what they can do they are a very good hosting company and im sure they can help.

Cheers

Steve

#7 NST Inc Designer

NST Inc Designer

• Moderators
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

My Host also does not run phpsuexec. Use the Template manager to delete the template, then upload the template folder (unzipped) to the template directory. You will now have full control over the template via FTP. You can still select the template in the template manager but it will not be able to delete the folder now.
Soholaunch Templates by tim burroughs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users