20 replies to this topic

#1 soho customer

soho customer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:57 AM

Hello,
Is it possible that SoHo will ever upgrade the "basic" themes?
They all look alike and are actually terrible looking.
I've tried the software and really like it, but why can't SoHo "please" put in some better looking themes/templates.

Thank You
Joe

#2 Mike Armas

Mike Armas

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:05 AM

You can edit them your self or just order new ones on hte add-on site

#3 dresswell

dresswell

Soho Dog

• Administrators
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:05 AM

Welcome soho customer.
There are 444 templets to choise from.
http://addons.sohola....com/templates/
And you can always make your own.
Alot of people here do.
There are many how to articles on the subject.
And another place to try is
http://wiki.soholaun...title=Main_Page
If your looking to build of modify a templet.
Great name you got i would of though that was used
already.
dresswell

Free Soholaunch Hosting
Soholaunch Pro or Soholaunch Ultra Free with Hosting.
Check out our soholaunch hosting if your tried others

and were disappointed with your host or there support.
Get the help you need to build your website today.

Now offering a 99cent 1st. month Trial Offer.
Easy Website Maker

#4 Jim Buckler

Jim Buckler

Soholaunch Sales

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi Joe,
Soholaunch added over 140 new templates when we purchased www.kickass-web-templates.com . These templates in basic html form can be purchased from that website, but are offered as "kickass conversions" from http://addons.soholaunch.com . New templates, free and fee, will most likely be added to the addons site in the future, not attached to the software installation file.

We have a great group of Soholaunch 3rd party developers (and growing) who build and contribute their designs (and plugin programs) to the Addons' site. Many others also create their own custom designs for use on individual websites. We encourage this type of customization and consider it a strength of the Soholaunch platform.

Thank you for your interest in Soholaunch!
Jim Buckler
Soholaunch Sales
[email=""]sales@soholaunch.com[/email]

+1 678-261-4030 x611 US/International
Soholaunch Website Builder

#5 MikeUK

MikeUK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hi all

I think Soho folk need to seriously look at what they are suggesting. I don't think Joe was asking what he could spend MORE money on (I might be wrong, or course :) ).

You can edit them your self or just order new ones on hte add-on site

Welcome soho customer.
There are 444 templets to choise from.
http://addons.sohola....com/templates/
And you can always make your own.
Alot of people here do.

So spend ages or pay more money? This is advertised as WYSIWIG software.

Hi Joe,
Soholaunch added over 140 new templates when we purchased www.kickass-web-templates.com . These templates in basic html form can be purchased from that website, but are offered as "kickass conversions" from http://addons.soholaunch.com . New templates, free and fee, will most likely be added to the addons site in the future, not attached to the software installation file.

We have a great group of Soholaunch 3rd party developers (and growing) who build and contribute their designs (and plugin programs) to the Addons' site. Many others also create their own custom designs for use on individual websites. We encourage this type of customization and consider it a strength of the Soholaunch platform.

Basically, it costs more money to get a decent template. The free ones and ones installed are not great, especially when considering the cost of Soholaunch.

It's good to see a number of new plug-ins and templates being written, but it also seems to me (based on the info and forum) that it is making the company complacent. I don't want to buy a product that then wants to sell me a load of add-ons. It seems Soholaunch is better as a developer investment than as single user software.

This forum is becoming a mild sales pitch (in a nice way) for the developers that work with it. I would like to see Soholaunch appear keener to develop the area that are included in the main price. Although I appreciate a number of members are being very fair and careful with not promoting themselves directly (Draknet for example),

Seriously though, is $149 not enough for a few decent templates? The ones that come with Soho and the free ones are realy not that good, especially when editing is a lengthy (by WYSIWIG standards) process.

Sorry if my tone sounds harsh. I'm just frustrated because I think Soholaunch was almost what I wanted. But it is falling short in what it ultimately allows you to create without spending more money. And I am a bit fed up with forum solutions that suggest 'buy something else' after someone has spent $149.

#6 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

It's all a matter of perspective...

If you go to template clearing houses such as http://www.templatesmonster.com/, you will find most templates cost $65. Once you purchase one of those, you cannot use it to build your website without knowing how to make the template to work for your website. Take a look at the software required for using these template, and you will see things like adobe photoshop, abode dreamweaver if not anything else.

If you have the skills and knowledge to build a website from scratch, buying adobe dreamweaver will set up back $400, adobe photoshop another $650.

#7 NST Inc Designer

NST Inc Designer

• Moderators
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

I agree that some of the designs that ship with Soho are outdated. And maybe instead of quantity Soho should focus on quality. Ship a handful of great designs instead of many outdated and poor designs.

As a designer I would be willing to contribute to such an initiative and I'm sure other designers would too.
Soholaunch Templates by tim burroughs

#8 MikeUK

MikeUK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

lwyau, yes I'm sure it is about perspective and many will not see it like I do. But Soholaunch as good as it may (or may not) be, price comparisons to Dreamweaver, Photoshop just can't be done. They are two examples of incredibly extensive programs, designed to do just about anything in their fields.

What worries me as a potential single website licence customer is that, once paying the $149, I will find I need to spend about the same again to get what I want. That wouldn't be hard to do if I spent $65 on a template.

To put it another way, I was looking at a hosting package that includes Soholaunch free, but my worry is that I still don't know how much I will really need to spend on it.

For what its worth, I think NST Inc Designeris right about the templates. I would take this further and say, at least, for $149, enable a basic user like myself to put together a decent looking site that doesn't look like a 1000 others.

Look at the forum threads around this topic. So many point to the need to spend more money.

#9 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

...at least, for $149, enable a basic user like myself to put together a decent looking site that doesn't look like a 1000 others.

I am amazed at times as to why some folks place very little value on software. When you spend little money to get soho (or any other site builder software), you are in fact getting into building a site that "looks like a 1,000 others." Even with a template of your liking, there will be "1,000 other sites" look like yours because they like the template just the same.

To be unique, you need to invest something in order to differentiate. That "something" can be in many forms (creativity, skills, money), but can't be just "nothing."

#10 MikeUK

MikeUK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

I take your point, but personally I think I should be able to do this for this money, assuming I am wiling to put in the work. There are enough template options, menu options, layout options around to enable this.

Generally, it just seems to me that Soholauch have decided that the main package is just a basic set of appearence features. And anything else is going to cost more money.

I would love to see a set of sites designed using only the built in features of Soholaunch. Some of the sites found in this forum look great, really good, but well outside what can be done (as far as I can see) with the standard package.

And it is really difficult (both in the forum and from the Soholaunch site) to understand what can really be done with it, as is. Everyone talks about add-ons or other templates (which usually turn out to be the paid ones).

#11 dresswell

dresswell

Soho Dog

• Administrators
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

c&p from soho home page.
Soholaunch Pro Edition is a software product that makes it easy for people of all experience levels to create and maintain a great website. It reins-in the hard parts of building a website and presents them in a way that the non-geek can understand and control.

The main word here is control.
You can do almost anything you want.
You can buy someone elses work or do it your self.
I think soho customer was not aware there were other
templets to choise from.Some free,Some for a fee,
or that he could do the work himself and build his own.
dresswell

Free Soholaunch Hosting

Easy Website Maker

#12 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

Soho just added 143 free templates. Go here http://addons.sohola....com/templates/ and click on "kickass conversions" link on the left.

#13 Zapper

Zapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

MikeUK said, "To put it another way, I was looking at a hosting package that includes Soholaunch free, but my worry is that I still don't know how much I will really need to spend on it. "

Why in the world complain about the "$149.00" yadayada if it's not going to be paid for, but provided for FREE (to you) by the hosting company?

Regardless of what some may think, a great looking (or even a good looking) website design takes time and effort. Some website developers know this, and budget appropriately.

The Soholaunch templates available within the package and the freebies at the addons site are very suitable for many sites, and are used extensively.

The "paid-for" templates at the addons site take the appearance to a higher standard.

For truly outstanding design to fit exactly your needs requires a custom job to be done.

This is not just applicable to Soholaunch-driven sites, but for ANY website.

Expecting a great looking "ready for my particular business" website for "free" is asking too much.

#14 dresswell

dresswell

Soho Dog

• Administrators
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

I agree with you zapper.
I think some people think if they go to bed and
dream of there site layout and how everything
should work that when they awake there will be
more orders than they can fill and there site will
be up and running.Just the way they dreamed it.
The problem is when your awake, your in the real world.
Things go wrong,Things need fixing,Things cost money.
dresswell

Free Soholaunch Hosting

Easy Website Maker

#15 MikeUK

MikeUK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

I agree with Zapper as well to a certain extent, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Zapper, please read my original post and the follow up again. I am not suggesting it should be free. The example with the hosting company was to make the point that even IF I got it free, would there not still be additional costs to get a decent looking site.

Before anyone jumps on the 'free' thing, please bear in mind it technically is not free from Soholaunch. It is included in the hosting package. I would choose that host for it. It is a good business idea, but it doesn't mean I should expect less from Soholaunch.

I never mentioned 'outstanding design', or not putting in 'time and effort', not did I suggest, dresswell, that I was expecting a dream site that would work wonders (where are you people getting this?). My point was, from what I have seen so far, that I didn't think I could create a decent looking and original site without purchasing further templates, etc.

The funny thing is, I was kind of hoping everyone would jump up and say 'don't be silly' you can do 'this' and 'this' and 'this' and you can be create something decent with the standard version.

Soholaunch 'looks' great when you first start using it, but I don't think it is worth $149 based on my experience with it so far. I love the drag and drop grid idea, I love the fact a decent shopping cart is included, but I need a site that looks good. I can create a good looking site with a number of other much cheaper web site builders, but they don't have a decent e-commerce backend. I think $149 is enough to expect what I want. It seems I am the only one though. There are two other packages that I know of, that do WYSIWIG and e-commerce, that are a similar price. I will see if people in their forums are more confident about the software than to shout down posters who dare to criticise or question it.

However, it's good to hear about the new templates.

#16 Zapper

Zapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Ok, I did as you suggested and re-read your original post, and here is my follow up....

You said in the post:

"Sorry if my tone sounds harsh. I'm just frustrated because I think Soholaunch was almost what I wanted. But it is falling short in what it ultimately allows you to create without spending more money"

That (along with the host-provided licensing) is why I thought you were wanting a site "free".

If you ever DO find an online or offline website builder that does in fact allow one to create a site exactly the way anyone wants with all the functionality in it one wants without spending more money, please come back and let us know about it!

This forum is indeed filled to brim with cheerleaders for Soholaunch. Mostly because just about all of us here have used other CMS's and been sorely disappointed until we found Soholaunch.

Can Soholaunch be improved? Yes, of course.
Is Soholaunch constantly being improved? Yes, of course.

#17 MikeUK

MikeUK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

Fair enough, Zapper.

But there is a huge difference between wanting something for free, and not wanting to spend more money......

I never said I wanted it for free. Just that what is included in the $149 package seems not sufficient.

#18 dresswell

dresswell

Soho Dog

• Administrators
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

Im sure if soholaunch wanted they could add all the bells and whisles
But then im sure the cost would be a lot more also.
The way they have it setup is you get what you need to
get started and if you want more you can add what ever you want.
dresswell

Free Soholaunch Hosting

Easy Website Maker

#19 MikeUK

MikeUK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

Im sure if soholaunch wanted they could add all the bells and whisles
But then im sure the cost would be a lot more also.
The way they have it setup is you get what you need to
get started and if you want more you can add what ever you want.
dresswell

Fair point. Still, I wouldn't say out-dated templates (the original point I made) is just without bells and whistles. It's a bit more fundamental than that, in my opinion.

Anyway, I do appreciate the replies on this and the time spent writing them. :)

Just out of interest, is there anywhere I might find examples of sites created using the WYSIWIG side of Soholauch only (rather than the the thread here which consists mostly of sites, which look great, but clearly created using far more than the WYSIWIG side of Soholaunch)?

To clarify the above, I did see on another sitebuilder site a very useful thing where it listed sites based on the version. There were three categories - something like Basic, Pro, Advanced version. You could then see the difference in the sites for each version. It made a great comparison. I realise this is not so easy with Soholauch.

#20 cuky

cuky

Soho Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:18 AM

Interesting thread. I have been thinking about using soholaunch for my website. Presently have site studio and am not pleased. I have no problem putting in the time building a nice site if the software to build it is user friendly w/o the need to be able to write html code etc. But from this thread i get the sense of "if you want something nice form soholaunch, you are going to have to pay more for it and don't complain about it."

Tonight is my first look at what is available to replace site studio. I know very little about soholaunch. My first impressions were great until I got to this thread. I will keep checking into soholaunch, because your cart looks great.

PS my host is ace-net. They have great support with immediate tech support.
best regards,
cuky (a noob at building a website but working on it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users