2 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy

Tracy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

One more questions on another subject.

I heard it was extremely important in getting decent site ranking to have a Site Map. So I made a Site Map Page, individually listed each of my site's pages, and linked them. I thought that was all there was too it. But the more research I'm doing the more stupid I feel. :huh:

The site I was sent to for advise on the subject was all code and waaaayyyy over my head. Between XML tags and robots, I'm LOST! :wtf:

So my question is: Was I totally naive to think all there was to a Site Map was a list with links? Is there a correct way to create a "robot" or "spider" friendly Site Map before I start submitting?

I'm open to any advise and appreciate your effort in giving it!
:rolleyes:

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

Here are some perspectives:

1. Site ranking has nothing to do with site map. You improve your ranking by working on content including meta tags (title in particular), and cultivate incoming links (links to your site from other websites).

2. The Site Map page you created is generally meant to help your visitors to quickly know the structure of your site, so you need to make it to be as friendly to your visitors as possible. Again, this site map has nothing to do with site ranking.

3. The XML site map is designed for search engines robots to get your site's current content more efficiently. This is important for very large, complex sites with frequent page additions/deletions/modifications. Again, this site map has nothing to do with site ranking, and is less important for not so complex websites.

The bottom line: Work on your contents and meta tags and incoming links if improving site ranking is what you want to achieve.

#3 Tracy

Tracy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

Why is it so hard for others to explain something simple and basic for us newbies. :)

Thank you VERY much! Your advise cleared up a lot for me and I really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users