• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy

Tracy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

Hiya guys. I have a new question for you... I'm not even sure if I will be able to do this using Soho, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. ;)

Other than a bit of tweaking, I've finally finished my website and decided to start submitting it to search engines. Very first one and I get a road block (of course!) :yikes: In order to use Google's tools, they want me to verify that I am the webmaster. They give me 2 ways to do that - First is to insert a meta tag :eek: I can't even begin to figure that out. Second is to upload an html file, their directions say:

Using any text editor, create the file that we ask for and make sure to save it with the exact name we ask for (for example, google3zz6h1954.html). The filename is case-sensitive and must have an ".html" extension. The file itself can be empty - we don't read the content of the file, but only check to see that it exists in the specified location. Upload the file to your webserver to the location we specify. Generally, this is the root folder for your site.

So I went to my Notepad and created the file they asked for and saved it with html extension, then uploaded into my Soho files... From there I'm lost. I thought that was the extent of what I was supposed to do, but when I try to Verify I get a 404 page, so I've done something wrong. :geek:

Did I not finish, or do something wrong? Any ideas, tips, or suggestions???

As always thanks for your time and I appreciate your help!!!
:heart:
(Glad you're here for us dummies!)

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

...So I went to my Notepad and created the file they asked for and saved it with html extension, then uploaded into my Soho files... From there I'm lost. I thought that was the extent of what I was supposed to do, but when I try to Verify I get a 404 page, so I've done something wrong. :geek:

You don't upload this file through sohoadmin > file manager because it is uploaded to the wrong place. You will have to use either your cpanel file manager or FTP to upload this file to the public_html folder.

#3 Tracy

Tracy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

I uploaded with cpanel and it worked right away! Thank you!!!

I don't know what I'd do without you guys. You ROCK!!!

I know these things are probably simple and basic to you. But for those of us who don't know, you are a terrific help and much appreciated. :heart:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users