9 replies to this topic

#1 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

It's taken me almost 6 weeks since I first opened Soholaunch and began the long trek down its road of learning. Now, with content added to 26 pages, Im almost ready to go public. I'm sure that I'll tinker and tweak for a while yet :)

I used the recent mods that Ruben made to his Business1 (Startsub) template. I like the changes this let me make by adding my own graphics. :cool: I still have to work out how I can use the panel on the right labelled "Specials", but hopefully I'll get there.

I'm starting with 8 products, but have another 30+ to add.

Anyway, enough! :ehheh: If you want to take a look: www.jeelan.com.au

BTW, I'm always interested in constructive comments: negative or positive -- because I still have a lot to learn.

Finally, my thanks to everyone who so willingly helped me. Hopefully I'll be able to reciprocate.

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

This is very well done. Congratulations!

You may want to do something about the home page template. Because of the "specials" box and three-up thumbnails, it "stretches" the template wider. You can either reduce thumnails to two-up, or adjust the home page template width and perhaps add another image on the header.

#3 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

You may want to do something about the home page template. Because of the "specials" box and three-up thumbnails, it "stretches" the template wider. You can either reduce thumnails to two-up, or adjust the home page template width and perhaps add another image on the header.

Thanks for your comments.

I've spent a lot of time trying to work out how to work wit the "specials" box (either put something into it or get rid of it) with absolutely no success. Sounds like I need to try again :whoops:

Same with the home page template width.

I'll get there some how.

#4 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

The "specials" box is labeled "BOX1".

"Boxes" draw their contents from blog subjects. So the first thing you want to do is to create a blog subject called "specials" (or any name you like, or even use one of the built-in subjects), and create a few entries.

Then go to sohoadmin > template manager and you will see "template boxes" as the last item under "template features". Click on "edit template boxes now!" brings up a screen allowing you designate a blog subject for BOX1. You can then click on "edit display settings" for more stuff to specify.

If you don't care much about this "specials" box, you can remove the home.html file in your template folder (better yet, just rename it to something else in case you want to reinstate it later.) Once you've done it, the home page will use the same template used for all other pages.

#5 Snipe

Snipe

• Moderators
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:35 AM

Oscar I like it...

One thing. With all the identity theft and fraud thats goes on here in the states I would have your cart on a SSL... also Why in heavens name would you put your account number to your bank on the site for public view...:ghasp: :ghasp:

Can you not take CC off line..??
When I was young my aunt's and uncle's would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying " Your Next, Your Next" They stopped doing all that crap when I did it to them at funerals...

#6 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:54 PM

Oscar I like it...
One thing. With all the identity theft and fraud thats goes on here in the states I would have your cart on a SSL... also Why in heavens name would you put your account number to your bank on the site for public view...:ghasp: :ghasp:
Can you not take CC off line..??

Thank you for your comments.

Why in heavens name would you put your account number to your bank on the site for public view... I understand your concerns. Let me explain the background. I have used direct bank deposits on eBay for years, so far without problems. The account which I use for DD, is a special account in that I keep a minimal balance in it -- currently about $30. Anyone going to the trouble to hack into this account would be disappointed.

My bank has assured me, in writing, that the details needed for DD do not allow any withdrawals. To logon to my account, in addition to the info I display on my site, I need a password and a randomly generated 6-digit authentication code which is provided by a small electronic gadget. Once I enter that code, it remains active for 60 secondss. If I wish to make withdrawals after I have accessed my account, I need to provide a different authentication code for each withdrawal.

Can you not take CC off line..?? Possible, but difficult to get bank approval -- often takes 12 months. The costs of using a CC payment gateway can be more costly than I can justify.

I would have your cart on a SSL... Honestly, I haven't considered using SSL, but I'll look into it and how I can do that.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

#7 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

Once you've done it, the home page will use the same template used for all other pages.

Thank you for your continuing useful comments. I'm off to see what I can do about the "Specials" box.

#8 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

If you don't care much about this "specials" box, you can remove the home.html file in your template folder (better yet, just rename it to something else in case you want to reinstate it later.) Once you've done it, the home page will use the same template used for all other pages.

Where do I find the home.html file? I've looked but haven't found it.:ehheh:

#9 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

In this folder: sohoadmin/program/modules/site_templates/pages/Business-Business1-startsub/

#10 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

In this folder: sohoadmin/program/modules/site_templates/pages/Business-Business1-startsub/

Many thanks! I renamed home.html. I now have more real estate to work with on the home page. :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users