3 replies to this topic

#1 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

For a few weeks I've been coming to grips with Soho. I've learned a lot from comments made about other sites, so I'm opening mine up for criticism.

This site is nowhere near finished. I have lots of pages to add for about another 50 products, and things to learn like Blogs, Newsletters, changing colours and text sizes in the menu panel, etc ... and the biggest of all, the Shopping Cart -- that's my big concern at present.

I've used the Business1 template for non-product pages. Ruben modified it so that I could change the graphics, and I'm almost :hmm: happy with the content I've added. Because I needed a wider format for the product descriptions, I chose to use a range of free templates.

Anyway, here it is. I'm particularly interested in comments that will help me improve it.

www.jeelan.com.au

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

IMHO the change of template from non-product page to product page is too abrupt and makes me feel like jumping into another site.

The whole idea of employing a template is to promote the consistency of the site's look and feel and let visitors know in fact they are navigating within the site. When different templates are used in a site, these templates are usually in the same theme with variations so they definitely look like being part of the "family" so to speak.

I understand your need for having larger width for your product page. However, this is largely due to the fact that you use 600px wide images. The content area width of your non-product page is very close to that, though does not quite make it.

I think you should consider using the non-product template throughout the site and do either of the following:

1. Edit down your product presentation images to perhaps 500px wide; or
2. Expand the content area width of the template to accomodate 600px wide images.

#3 oscar

oscar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for taking the time to make these constructive points. I appreciate them.

IMHO the change of template from non-product page to product page is too abrupt and makes me feel like jumping into another site.

I totally agree with you! I'm still considering my options here.

When different templates are used in a site, these templates are usually in the same theme with variations so they definitely look like being part of the "family" so to speak.

That would be my first choice. I've actually emailed Ruben about the possibility of adding another template to the "family", and am still waiting to hear from him.

However, this is largely due to the fact that you use 600px wide images. The content area width of your non-product page is very close to that, though does not quite make it.

I didn't see any alternative to the 600px images. I need to provide enough detail for potential buyers to see exactly what these e-books do. At anything less than 600px, the detail is marginal.

1. Edit down your product presentation images to perhaps 500px wide; or

I'll try that and see what the end result is. Hopefully, it will work :)

2. Expand the content area width of the template to accomodate 600px wide images.

I have no idea how to do this. Anything I can read up on?

I'm reluctantly skirting around the idea of developing my own template, but with so little experience in using Soho, I have concerns about going down this path.

Again, many thanks!

#4 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwyau
I have no idea how to do this. Anything I can read up on?

Perhaps you can ask Ruben. He may come through for you again ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users