Photo
- - - - -

New Soho commercial site. Please take a look!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 durostd

durostd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated
http://www.scalefighter.com

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

Your site has a lot of informational content, very impressive!

Here's my 2 cents (a set of good practices for all soho built sites):

1. Devote time to fill out all the meta tags (title, keywords, description) for each page. You do this by edit page -> page properties.
2. Once the visitor goes to the Order Page, there is no navigation back to the main part of the site. You do want to retain the nav bar on the top of the page in the Shopping Cart application.
3. You may want to change shopping cart display settings to make shopping cart color scheme match your template (orange tone).
4. Add text menu on the bottom of your template for two reasons: Make it easier for visitors and, more importantly, enable search engine spiders to crawl all your pages.
5. Fix up a nice copyright statement in sohoadmin -> webmaster -> global settings. Use something like the following:

"2007 Magnetic Solutions. All rights reserved.<br>Non-Chemical Treatment for Hard Water"

This way, it'll compensate for the fact that your tempate heading is an image and seach engine spiders cannot read the word in it.

#3 durostd

durostd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for taking the time to review my new site:

1. I started to fill in the page property data for the "Home Page" but ran into a problem. When I place my cursor at the start of the Page Title text area and left click, the text cursor appears as expected. However, when I place my cursor at the start of the "Description", "Keywords", and "Gateway HTML" text areas, the text cursor in invisible. I can type into those areas but have no control. If I make an error and want to go back to fix it, I have to backspace (and erase!) all the text to get to the error location. I may have identified a little bug in the program.

2. How do I retain the nav bar at the top of the shopping cart?

3. You suggest adding a text menu at the bottom of the template. Do you mean modifying the template to show the menu both on top and bottom or do you mean to manually duplicate the template menu using the text editor and linking to the respective pages.

Again, your help and expertise is very much appreciated

#4 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

1. I started to fill in the page property data for the "Home Page" but ran into a problem. When I place my cursor at the start of the Page Title text area and left click, the text cursor appears as expected. However, when I place my cursor at the start of the "Description", "Keywords", and "Gateway HTML" text areas, the text cursor in invisible. I can type into those areas but have no control. If I make an error and want to go back to fix it, I have to backspace (and erase!) all the text to get to the error location. I may have identified a little bug in the program.

Yes it is a little annoying. What you can do is to copy and paste to Notepad, fix it the way you want, then copy/paste back.

I can see now it is really a bug in the template. The line:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="stmenu.js"></script>

should be changed to:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="../stmenu.js"></script>

There are actually two identical lines in the template. If you can't fix the template yourself, you should inform the developer.

3. You suggest adding a text menu at the bottom of the template. Do you mean modifying the template to show the menu both on top and bottom or do you mean to manually duplicate the template menu using the text editor and linking to the respective pages.

Go to sohoadmin -> menu navigation to see if "text menu display" "yes" button is checked. If it is and you don't have text menu, a #TMENU# tag needs to be added in the template. Again, contact the template developer if you don't know how to do it.

#5 durostd

durostd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

Greetings: Again, thank for the assist. I contacted the template creator and below is the response I received. As you see below, there apparently is no "bug" in the template but simply a "permissions" issue with my website host.

Regards

Dennis

Hello!

Thanks for your feedback.

In order to put the site's TZ-Menu System in your Shopping Cart area, you need to have your hosting company change ownership and permissions on the "/public_html/shopping/" folder to allow full ftp file transfer access. As it is currently setup, I cannot place files in that folder that are necessary to have there. Just tell your hosting provider that you need ftp file transfer access to ALL folders on the site.

Let me know when this is done, and I will be glad to update your system, and add the text menu to the bottom of your pages.

There is not a "bug" in the template... Whoever suggested making that change would cause the menu system not to work at all. The support files are located on the root folder of your site, and are referenced correctly in the template code.

Thanks,
BEN

----- Original Message -----
To: Ben Duncan
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 8:20 PM
Subject: Problem with Template

Ben:
I finally fished my website and one of the soho beta testers looked the site over and offered a couple of suggestions. One was to add the menu bar to the top of the shopping cart. Upon further analysis it was determined there is a small bug in the template (See 2 below).

Regards
Dennis Durost
http://70.85.82.84/~scalefig/sohoadmin
ID: durostd
PW: gowest

I can see now it is really a bug in the template. The line:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="stmenu.js"></script>

should be changed to:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="../stmenu.js"></script>

There are actually two identical lines in the template. If you can't fix the template yourself, you should inform the developer.

#6 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

Maybe I should not call it a "bug" since the same javascript is intended to be stored in both the root and shopping directory.

However, what I mentioned works with just one set of script stored in the root directory. As an aside, it is actually better to have the script right in the template's folder and let soho takes care of the path as well as backups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users