7 replies to this topic

#1 buffalobob

buffalobob

Soho Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:53 PM

The next question I have is from the Vodahits seo. I get this message about several of my web pages. it tells me that the "body copy" is the text between the<body> and <i body> tags. I cannot find that in the "view source" of each page. where is it ? and what do I need to do to correct this so I get the best seo. position ? The search term is "personalized wedding gifts"
I would really appreciate any comments or criticisms about my website. this is my first and I have a lot riding on it's sucess. This is my website:

www.personalized-engraved-wedding-gifts.com

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

The <body> and </body> tags are there in the source code.

For all intents and purposes, what it tells you is that you don't have the search term "personalized wedding gifts" in your content text. The idea is that search engines will not find your page "relevant" to the search phrase if you don't even have it mentioned in your content.

On the other hand, there is no guarantee of high or even "respectable" ranking of your page just because you do mention the search phrase in your content text. SEO is a serious business and it involves a high degree of science, art, and hard work.

#3 buffalobob

buffalobob

Soho Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

lwyau; I'm not looking for guarantees, I'm just trying to do things that I have been told might help. I don't consider SEO to be easy or a game ,it is serious business to me even though I am a novice
How can I add the search term to the body part of the meta description and if I do will it help any at all ? I have to do everything I can on a limited budget to make this work. I would appreciate any help and instructions how to accomplish this. Thanks for any answers you can provide.
the website is www.personalized-engraved-wedding-gifts.com

#4 Zapper

Zapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

I have seen many webmasters spend countless hours and lottsa money to try to improve their page rankings for search engines....like it's the Holy Grail of business success, or something.

Depending on the type of website you have, the honest truth is that moving your page rank from "4567" to "3222" is a complete and utter waste of time and resources-- absolutely nobody will dig that deep anyway. Currently polling suggests the max a person will go to is about 10 pages-- but usually the first few.

There MIGHT be a reason to attempt to go from the 3rd page to the second, maybe....

The best way to find out what search engines like is to research the engines website themselves--- they'll tell you enough to go down that road.

Of course, NOBODY outside the search engines personnel really knows what they look for. Many dollars have been suckered out of novices by SEO software, consultants, services, etc. who let on that they have all the answers.

Do you think Google is going to give out their trade secrets to anybody??

In my humble opinion, the money and time spent on SEO should be used for Adwords, relevant trade forum postings, banner ads, and developing the site itself.

One thing, for sure, the more relevant site content you have, the better your rankings anyway.

Oh, one more hint, there is a point of diminishing returns--- check out Google-- there is a point to where the more you try to increase your ranking, the lower it will go. In fact, there are some things, that if you persist in doing them, they will remove your site from their database altogether-- effectively banning the site forever.

The current push with search engines is to provide relevant hits, not just sites that have so twisted their content and coding (just to gain ranking placement) that the listed results look stupd.

#5 Zapper

Zapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

I just went to check... Using the terms "template soholaunch" (without the quotes!)

On Yahoo, my website www.templatezapper.com is the the 5th one listed.

On Google, the same terms yields the Number ONE ad placement at the top of the page (as the sponsored link), with the top TWO regular listings showing links to my postings HERE on this forum, and the regular site listing at number 7.

Even using such a generic term as "templates" on Google, my inexpensive Adwords listing appears on the 2nd page! (Out of 202,000,000 yes MILLION results.)

For these good rankings, I have only done the things I suggested be done in the prior post.

#6 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

Buffalobob, there is no such thing as in "body part of the meta description." Rather, it is the main body of the website that visitors sees. What it was telling you is that you don't have the phrase "personalized wedding gifts" on your home page. Yes, you do have "personalized wedding gift" as part of the text, but the word "gift" is in singular.

I'd suggest that you write your content copy with the objective of making an honest and interesting description of your products and services as you can for your visitors.

#7 buffalobob

buffalobob

Soho Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

Thanks to Zapper and Lwyau for the info. I am learning. I was considering adwords and ways of product placement that was not as search engine ranking oriented. It's nice to see that I was headed in the right direction. I will go to the search engine sites to check them out.
I also did not realize that it mattered as much if it was plural or singular I appreciate the advice.
there's a saying in business "surround yourself with the people who know " I think that's what I'm doing. Thanks,
Buffalobob

#8 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

Let me clarify the issue of plural vs. singular. Its distinction is rather reflective of the limitation of Vohahits SEO software such that it "decided" you did not have the search term in your body copy.

On the other hand, Search Engines are much more sophisticated than that. They have no problem understand both expressions (sigular and plural) are relevant to the search term (sigular or plural).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users