• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hostertag

hostertag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

Is it possible to have more than one content area on custom templates? For example, if I want to add/switch out content in another area other than my main content area.

Here is the template I uploaded:
http://www.hollyostertag.com

I want to be able to switch out content in the lower left corner where my contact info is right now. I tried putting more than one #CONTENT# variables in separate cells, but the software tells me the template is not compatible that way.

Thanks for any help.

#2 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

You can define only one #CONTENT# tag in Soho.

To do what you want to do, you have a couple of options:

1. Use multiple templates with different "contents" in your contact info spot.
2. Code a #CUSTOMINC# php script to offer different contents based on the page name ($pr variable).

As a matter of fact, a variation of Option #2 above is to code an <iframe> calling for a new page (with the new page name being derived from the main page name, e.g., "Home Page S" for "Home Page"). You can then set up a small template with nothing other than the desired width for these mini-pages. In this way, you can use Page Editor for the mini-pages.

#3 hostertag

hostertag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Yes, that option 1 makes sense. I could do that.

I dont' know how to write php code, so option 2 I'll have to play around with. So, you're saying that each page could have a different element in that space?

#4 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:10 PM

Yes, if you reserve an area of a size of 300 x 420, for example, you can place #CUSTOMINC# tag in its place. You then save a script with the name of "includethis.inc" as follows:

<?PHP
echo '<iframe src="index.php?pr='.$pr.'_S" width="300" height="420" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>';
?>

You just get youself a second "content area" (300 x 420) and you will have to create a mini-page for each page with a "_S" suffix: a "Home Page S" for "Home Page" and a "About Us S" page for "About Us" and so on.

#5 hostertag

hostertag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

So what you're saying is I reserve a cell in the html and put the #CUSTOMINC#, there. That I understand. I'm not sure what you mean when you describe building the mini pages. Are they identical to my template but with the php code and no soho tags?

Sorry I'm a bit confused here....

#6 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:01 PM

No, the mini pages will have a very simple template to restrict the width and the #CONTENT# tag, something like:

<html>
<body>
<table width=300><tr><td>#CONTENT#</td></tr></table>
</body>
</html>

In this way, you can edit them via Page Editor in Soho.

#7 Ruben

Ruben

www.Sohotemplates.com

• Moderators
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

uhhh Guys, why make things so difficult?

IF... this custom template has been made compatible for version 4.9 of soholaunch than HosterTag can just use the template box feature and insert #BOX1# #BOX2# etc. tags for extra content which will be managed through the blog manager.
Ruben
Visit www.sohotemplates.com for your Soholaunch templates
High Quality StockPhoto's ! www.microstockphoto.com
Looking for High Quality Flash files? check Flashden!

#8 lwyau

lwyau

a soho enthusiast

• Moderators
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

Well, the exercise here is to provide a separate content area containing different information on each page...

#9 hostertag

hostertag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

Thanks. I'm going to try these out..

#10 hostertag

hostertag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

I'm trying to get the blog feature to work by inserting #BOX1# into a table cell outside of my content area in my custom template. After uploading it, I get the prompt in my Templates Manager section to edit my template boxes, but when I click further, it says I have 0 boxes in my layout and when I click on the link "view raw template skeleton so you can see where each box is placed", I get a server error.

I have attempted to create a blog with the content I want displayed, but it only ends up in my content area.

Did I place the #BOX1# in the wrong area?

#11 Mike Morrison

Mike Morrison

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

What version are you running? (bottom right corner of admin interface)

#12 hostertag

hostertag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

v4.9 r14 is the version I have.

#13 Mike Morrison

Mike Morrison

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:51 PM

Definitely update to r33 or r35 via Software Updates. We've signifigantly stabalized the Template Box Manager since r14.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users