16 replies to this topic

#1 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:44 PM

I need to see if someone can help me. I have a not-for-profit client that is using the shopping cart for various services they provide. They would also like to allow people to "donate to them" online. Can we tweak the shopping cart to have a sku that has a customizable price. For Example, I can setup a Donate Now sku. It can then ask them to enter the donation amount. That will be added to the shopping cart. They can then continue to order supplies or services or checkout from their like normal. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

#2 demostorm

demostorm

• Moderators
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:51 PM

For Example, I can setup a Donate Now sku. It can then ask them to enter the donation amount. That will be added to the shopping cart. They can then continue to order supplies or services or checkout from their like normal. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

That would be a nice tweak. I could think of some other uses for that as well. Right now I think the only way to do that would be to setup price variations but thats not what you have in mind. I think of all the modules the shopping cart has some key features that could be put in that would go a long way. Of all the sitebuilders I know of Soholaunch is the only one with an integrated shopping cart. Love to see them keep that lead.

#3 SoundWeb

SoundWeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:29 PM

For Example, I can setup a Donate Now sku. It can then ask them to enter the donation amount. That will be added to the shopping cart. They can then continue to order supplies or services or checkout from their like normal. Is this possible?

It's not elegant... But you could set up a $1 sku and they could fill in the number of $1 that they want to donate in the quantity field. It would probably require a little explaining on the site. It would only allow whole $ amounts though.

Steve

#4 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:08 PM

It's not elegant... But you could set up a $1 sku and they could fill in the number of $1 that they want to donate in the quantity field. It would probably require a little explaining on the site. It would only allow whole $ amounts though.

Steve

Yes, I could do that. Although, that is tacky and don't think that will work with my customer. The purpose of using soholaunch was to improve the professionalism of their site and that would not help professionalism. Thanks for the thought, though.

Hopefully, soholaunch will see the benefit of implementing this feature.

#5 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:15 PM

How is your client processing the donations? Just paypal or are they using multiple donation options. Or if they are just doing paypal they can grab the donate link off of their paypal account and include that as a custom include. I do like the idea of a custom field but there needs to be a way to have this field to have a variety of possible functions.
Cameron Allen
Director of Technical Services
Soholaunch.com Inc ...Website Building Made Easy

#6 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:54 PM

They currently aren't processing donations online. This is something that they would like to add. The only other thing I can do for them is create a custom form to collect the information and process it right away. This is doable but I thought it would be better if we can integrate into the shopping cart. If there was a way to mark a sku price customer defined, then when some chooses to add that sku to their cart it could ask them how much they would like to give. Maybe that would work?

#7 Cameron Allen

Cameron Allen

• Administrators
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:20 PM

I like your idea about a price field that a customer can fill out, but the only issue I can think of that could arrise is currency. When you have a multi-national shopping cart, With multiple currency options, and a blank customer field to input price it gets tricky. I am not saying this idea couldn't work, it is just going to take some thinkerin'. ;)
Cameron Allen
Director of Technical Services
Soholaunch.com Inc ...Website Building Made Easy

#8 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:26 PM

I like your idea about a price field that a customer can fill out, but the only issue I can think of that could arrise is currency. When you have a multi-national shopping cart, With multiple currency options, and a blank customer field to input price it gets tricky. I am not saying this idea couldn't work, it is just going to take some thinkerin'. ;)

Maybe we could define that specific sku to be a specific currency.

#9 Ruben

Ruben

www.Sohotemplates.com

• Moderators
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

Why not just setup a simple paypal donation function yourselve? thats done within a few minutes. check paypal site.
Ruben
Visit www.sohotemplates.com for your Soholaunch templates
High Quality StockPhoto's ! www.microstockphoto.com
Looking for High Quality Flash files? check Flashden!

#10 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:16 PM

Why not just setup a simple paypal donation function yourselve? thats done within a few minutes. check paypal site.

This customer does not use paypal. Why should they be forced to use paypal when they have a merchant account. I personally do not feel that processing payments through paypal is professional. I would rather come up with a solution where the person giving does not have to leave the website.

#11 demostorm

demostorm

• Moderators
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:23 PM

This customer does not use paypal. Why should they be forced to use paypal when they have a merchant account. I personally do not feel that processing payments through paypal is professional. I would rather come up with a solution where the person giving does not have to leave the website.

Well that debate is endless. I think whatever is professional has more to do with what your customers use and an incredible amount of my customers use Paypal and like having their actual credit card number shielded (as do I after having a service provider deliberately ignore my request to cancel my account and attempt to dip into my account month after month :mad: ). Ruben was just trying to give you an option for the here and immediate now. But the the Paypal debate is a side issue.

Anyway a slightly more elegant way of doing it than the multiple $1 approach would be to have your customers detemine donation levels ($10, $25, $50, $100 for example and set that up in the variations under a shopping cart item). I know thats not the ultimate answer but it might beat telling the customer to wait. the idea of donation levels is in wide use by charities.

#12 dub-l-r

dub-l-r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:14 AM

Seriously how can you deem paypal to be unprofessional? it is now a fully accredited merchant service and is federally backed. Since you never share credit card info, you are definitely more shielded against hacker idiots, AND about 90% of the sites on the internet that do some kind of shopping cart, use it. Not everyone has a credit card, and not everyone feels comfy at all about sharing that info if they do.

Professionalism is based upon navigation, ease of use, appearance, and general customer satisfaction when viewing the site, not which payment gateway you use. You can have a totally bogus site with an elegant merchant account, and that doesnt make it professional at all, it just makes it easier to gank peoples money lol.

Ive been designing websites for about a decade, and trust me, you base professionalism upon the browsers experience, ease of navigation, and content. Team that with a good site look and you have a winner =)

Thats just my opinion, take it at face value. Personally i think taking donations is the most unprofessional act ever. how can you try to look professional and ask for donations? its like a bum in NYC dressed up in armani...

Dub-L-R

#13 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

Seriously how can you deem paypal to be unprofessional? it is now a fully accredited merchant service and is federally backed. Since you never share credit card info, you are definitely more shielded against hacker idiots, AND about 90% of the sites on the internet that do some kind of shopping cart, use it. Not everyone has a credit card, and not everyone feels comfy at all about sharing that info if they do.

Professionalism is based upon navigation, ease of use, appearance, and general customer satisfaction when viewing the site, not which payment gateway you use. You can have a totally bogus site with an elegant merchant account, and that doesnt make it professional at all, it just makes it easier to gank peoples money lol.

Ive been designing websites for about a decade, and trust me, you base professionalism upon the browsers experience, ease of navigation, and content. Team that with a good site look and you have a winner =)

Thats just my opinion, take it at face value. Personally i think taking donations is the most unprofessional act ever. how can you try to look professional and ask for donations? its like a bum in NYC dressed up in armani...

Dub-L-R

I'm sorry that you feel this way. You can have your opinion but it is not going to change our way of doing business. However, you cannot judge my customer's motives because you do not know who they are or what they are trying to accomplish with their website.

If you have any valuable information, please feel free to leave it. If not, just back off and go bother someone else.

We are just providing information to soholaunch so that they can enhance their product. If they don't want our feedback, then we can find ourselves another program to use.

#14 jariggs

jariggs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

Forgetting about Paypal...

On the original topic, I agree that shopping cart should provide "donate" option. I have seen this same subject come up on almost every open source shopping cart solution. I remain curious as to why this funtionality is not added.

Some ideas I had were... what if you let the quantity be the dollar amount while setting the price at $1. Trick would be to display only the "quantity" box and have it read "amount" or something similar...

I agree the other solutions suggested, which I have seen on other sites as well, are less than ideal...

Lastly, is there a way I can change the "buy now" button to read "Donate" instead? I couldn't find the button graphic in the files...????

Thanks in advance,

jariggs

#15 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

Has anymore thought been put into this. I really would like to use soholaunch to accept online payments and donations; however, the customer needs to be able to enter the amount.

#16 ghwebhosting

ghwebhosting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

Is this an option yet?
Thanks,

Jacob Gomez
Technical Services
Faith Assembly of God

#17 Ruben

Ruben

www.Sohotemplates.com

• Moderators
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

not sure if this helps anybody, but just searched for paypal donation and found this one:

http://www.oreilly.c...pter/hack40.pdf

seems like a simple solution
Ruben
Visit www.sohotemplates.com for your Soholaunch templates
High Quality StockPhoto's ! www.microstockphoto.com
Looking for High Quality Flash files? check Flashden!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users