12 replies to this topic

#1 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:21 AM

We are generally going with a larger font on our web page because of the feedback we are receiving indicating the problem the readers seeing the print.
Taking a cue from Ebay we notice they use mostly 2 and 3 for font size and block them'.
Excuse us we are The Golden Seniors-
Edmond and Betty Corson-

www.goldenseniordays.com

Your comments and critique are welcome-Have a good day wherever you are-

Edmond and Betty Corson
goldencorson@yahoo.com

#2 Zapper

Zapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:42 AM

I am delighted with your approach.

I am astonished at how many websites I run across that are just not readable!

Either they have the fonts to small to read, the coloration is blinding, or the web page width is so wide you can only see a small portion of the page.

You have DEFINITELY got the right idea! The whole purpose of any website is human to human communication.

Anything that gets in the way of communicating to the end user is bad.

BEN

#3 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

Ben -Thank you very much for your response and the template you made for us enlarging the side menu font. We didn,t know this could be done this way without interupting the original selected plate. We sure could use a tutorial
on how you did that. We currently are using PhotoImpact11 and their Component Designer and are learning to make our own templates--(slow going but fun)Please contact us if you have any further suggestions. PS our 150 Golden Senior
members send their regards-Take care-

The Golden Seniors
Edmond and Betty Corson
goldencorson@yahoo.com

www.goldenseniordays.com

#4 Karen Mac

Karen Mac

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Edmond and Betty:

You do have a GREAT marketing idea there. Please dont take what I say the WRONG way, as I am trying to help you internet market. Ive been doing it for a couple of years now, Im new to soho only. If you want to get a little more Professional looking, Id move your first paragraph and image to the about us page, and make the home page a bit more like a news letter with H1 headings and more key word and a smaller display of pictures and links to what you are actually selling. And Justify your text, rather than center it, so you dont have those dangling words in the middle of the page. You want the friendly feel, so it doesnt have to be totally formal, but you dont want the amatuer look of a home page on yahoo either, if you follow what I mean. More keywords of what you are selling will get you better search engine ranking, so that when folks do a search for gold, etc, you will come up better this way. Id put a smaller picture of you folks off in the corner, rather than taking up your "above the fold" space. Above the fold space is like when you look at a newspaper, say laying on the table and its folded in the middle, and the MAJOR headlines and pictures are what you see. Thats how they sell newspapers, and it works on the internet too!

Either way, you are off to a GREAT start, and I think you will do well. Youve done a great job with the template as well. As I said, I gave you advice based on what I have learned in 2 plus years, Im by no means an expert or lay claim to any fame as an internet guru. Im in it to sell a few things just like you, and let me tell you my first web site was a MESS! Youve already started out much better than I did.

Karen Mac

#5 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:48 AM

Thank you for you input Karen. I was thinking if doing what you suggested with our home page and we have been receiving emails suggesting the same ideas. We are going to move our menu pages around and include additional scripting describing what we do and sell. We are designing our own template and the discussions are now on using flash as an enhancement. We are not sure yet if this can be used in Soho but one of our members won,t be long coming up with the answer and if not we will post the question. Anyway thank you again for you suggestions and please forward anymore that you may have. The Goldenseniors
Betty and Edmond Corson

www.goldenseniordays.com

#6 Karen Mac

Karen Mac

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

Edmond and Betty,

You really are gonna want to get a shot gun and shoot me, but.... If you use any flash at all save it for a slide show type projection and dont use it on your homepage of your business. Use it on an interior page if you have to. Heres why:

1.) its debatable exactly how much a search engine can read of flash and find useful to you. There are differing opinions on this, so no difinitve answer. There is a tool on google, and the name of it escapes me now, but its a mini browser, download it and look at your site, and you will see what the search engine basically sees. Some the actually bots can see and do more. But as i said...differing opinions

2.) about 70% of the internet still runs dial up. I live in rural missouri so I am one of those. Most of the world thinks everyone is on high speed, but they arent. You will lose alot of potential customers waiting for the flash to load or the flash intro to load up. You have less than three minutes to garner your audiences attention, and if you dont...you really run the risk of losing them.

3.) If you do any reading up at all on SEO, Search Engine Optimization, 90% do not recommend the flash. While it looks pretty and does some wonderful graphical things, its not necessary to sell.

Finally, SOHO has a wonderful photo gallery feature that you can add in there and it links to products and uses full size pictures. I would recommend you use this before you use the flash.

Karen

#7 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:39 AM

Thank you for your input Karen-
We were surprised to learn that 70% of the internet still runs on dialup. Thank you for the info on that and also on the use of Flash. We are using your recomendations and looking into the Soho photo gallery. Thank you for taking the time to look at our Web site and helping us--Edmond and Betty

The Goldenseniors

#8 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

Hello-
We are the Golden Seniors-
Edmond and Betty Corson
www.goldenseniordays.com

We are changing our web site around according to some of the input we are receiving. We are now using a test page to develope our home page and we notice that on our 17" laptop it fills the the entire screen and the pages are crunched down to fit the smaller 15' PC screens. Before we finish redoing our home page we are wondering what is the best page resolution to use and if you can set that resolution using Soho. We notice that some of the pages in The Built Pages fill our 17' screen nicely and some have a blank or colored space done each side of the page (800 x600 res.??) This morning we went on AOL and their home page looks to be the same way with a white blank space down each side of their page and some other well known sites had theirs to the left side of the page.
Personaly we like the full screen but their must something these big folks know that we don't when it comes to selling and we were wondering if it is because there are more smaller resolution PC 's out there than larger ones. We sure could use some input on this screen resolution subject be for we finish redoing our home page. Any suggestions would be appreciated--

Betty and Edmond
(www.goldenseniordays.com)

#9 Zapper

Zapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

Depending on whose survey sourcing you want to believe, worldwide screen resolution is still somewhere between 15% to 55% using 800 x 600.

I always develop templates for that resolution. Ebay, Yahoo, Google, etc. can't be all wrong.

Monitor size and resolution are two different subjects altogether... Some people run 800 x 600 on 17 inch monitors, for example, and even 1024 x 768 on 15 inch ones.

1024 x 768 is certainly gaining ground, and it is expected to pass up 800 x 600 for the majority of users over the next year or two... But, even then, I believe that designing for your customers is the best way to go!

Let's say, for example, you design your site to be perfectly pleasant at 1024 x 768. Well then, to someone using a laptop with a 14" monitor set at 800 x 600, your site would be virtually unusable. If they changed their resolution to 1024, then the text would be too small to read.

This exact same debate occured years ago during the "switch" from 640 x 480 to 800 x 600. At the dawn of the world wide web, 640 x 480 was the defacto standard.

It took YEARS to get to 800 x 600, and will take more YEARS for 1024 x 768 to become standard.

I hope this helped.

#10 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:13 AM

Thank you for the tutorial Zapper. It cleared up a lot of questions for us and your sites are very nicely done. We also signed up for your plugins and wil be aquiring some shortly-Thanks again for the info
Betty and Edmond

The Golden Seniors
www.goldenseniordays.com

#11 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:36 AM

Hello-
We are the Golden Seniors
Edmond and Betty Corson
www.goldenseniordays.com

When Using The Text Editor to Update Pages We Loose Our Shopping Cart .
It shows it is still there as an object in the text editor but when we save the page it dosen't show up on the page we have edited on our Website. What we have to do is delete the PayPal shopping cart and then reinstall it to make it work We also notice when we build a page from the top down we have no problems except when we go back to make changes something may disappear underneath the changes. We are wondering if this might have something to do with the frames and their dimensions. Any suggestions anyone may have would be appreciated<><><>

Edmond and Betty

#12 Vasili

Vasili

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

It took me a while to find you two....but now that I have, I am so pleased with your results!

You have both been so very busy, and how done something wonderful together!
I look forward to the completed (it's never really completed, is it?) version.
Congratulations.

#13 goldensenior

goldensenior

Soho Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:12 AM

Thank you Vasili we are having a great time. One of our Golden Seniors wants to sell his aeoplane and we are looking for a way to format the page that will include a lot of technical data. Anyway we hope to have it posed next week. Thank you again for your kind comments.
Betty and Edmond Corson
The Golden Seniors
www.goldenseniordays.com
[/I]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users